Can Jamster be stopped?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sol, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

I have had enough of that Jamster ring-tone ad that has infected most Mac sites I visit. It is so annoying to be reading something and then to suddenly hear music and sound effects playing because my mouse rolled over a certain part of the screen. This is a problem more annoying than spam and something must be done about it. I am sure that I am not the only person in the world to feel this way.

So, does anyone have a solution? I know that Flash could be un-installed from my system but too many web-sites use it instead of HTML these days. I could manually right-click on the Jamster ad and select Loop to stop it looping but that is too much work for every page I visit. Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I hear ya, i downgraded my foxtel service so MTV was no longer there to avoid that crap :mad: , if they put it on TV1 and Fox sports i am truly dead

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

If you use firefox. there are plugins that will make it so flash content will only display if you click on it. I use it all the time.

4. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

holy ****ing hell

i mean...

Link, please?

5. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I hope this doesn't become more prevalent. Any site that dares to play music or some sound (that doesn't have good reason to) when I access it will likely never finish loading on my computer. Embeded autoplay midi files, for instance, need to be banned from use on novice sites.

6. kineticpast macrumors member

I prefer using Adblock myself, and then specify domains I don't want content from, so the ads are completely removed and leave most flash content alone. I don't mind ads on the internet, I just don't like obnoxious ads.

I haven't seen Ripoff Frog on the net in a long time.

7. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

No solution for Safari?

Thanks for the replies. Firefox used to be my main browser but now I use Safari. If there is no solution for Safari I will switch back to Firefox but I would rather not because I love my Bookmarks Bar the way it is and Safari is better for RSS feeds.

8. baummer macrumors 6502a

Check here: http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/?c=Adblocking

9. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol