can mac cd drives read or write windows formated cds?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by toughboy, May 22, 2003.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

If I burn cds with the cdwriter on my PC, can I read them, or reburn them with anymac? can I open new sessions?

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Dunno about sessions (I never use them), but you can certainly read them on a Mac, and the Mac can write disks that the PC can read. No problem.

If you are using Mac OS 9 there is an extension called the "Joliet File Extension" that you will probably want to get. In Mac OS X everything is ready to go.

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    in os x you by default burn iso 9660 (or somethiung close to that i think) cds, which are the standard windows format for a burnt cd. pc readily read these cds without a hitch, as does your mac. i have never tried to burn a new session on a pc burnt disc, but i see no reason as to why this would not work. your best bet is to just give it a try. who cartes if you kill a $.25 cd? just make sure you still have that info on your hard drive.

edited the iso number...

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

One point I'd like to make.

I'm pretty sure that Macs will not read a CD-RW burned by a PC using Direct CD (aka Mt. Ranier). These are CD-RWs that are used like regular floppy disks.

5. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

macs will read PC formatted disks in ISO 9660 which is a multiplatform standard. so you can burn them on your mac and take them to a PC without a problem. most software including direct cd have an option to burn a multiplatform disk.