Can MacBook USB power an external Zip drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EMKoper, Sep 18, 2006.

1. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

Does anyone know for sure that a MacBook USB port can power an Iomega 250 MB zip drive?

[​IMG]

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

If it can be powered by USB (which it can, I checked), it will work.

3. slabbius macrumors member

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It should in theory depend more on the peripheral. If the device can be bus-powered, then yes it will be fine. If the device can't be, then you'll need the A/C cord. USB standards can be found on Wikipedia.

5. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

OK, the Zip 250 external is a USB powered device... in theory, it should work fine. I was wondering if anyone could verify it does works OK.... like you have seen one working or use one yourself. For instance, I have found that my PowerBook USB port didn't support my bus powered CF card reader even though it was supposed to in theory.

Yes! But I am asking the question for a relative ... her teacher wants them to use zip disks to turn in projects (for some reason).

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

What happens if they dont have a zip drive ;)

7. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

Thanks for asking... if they need to use it and they don't have one they go and buy one or must use what is provided by the school in the computer labs (which is free for her, but an added inconvenience). If she is going to have to use a Zip regularly over the course of 4 years, buying one is probably worth its value in time-saved waiting for a machine to free up at a computer lab.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have an old Zip 100 drive. Last I checked it was A/C powered...

9. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I once had a Zip 250 drive, which I was powered via USB and it worked fine on my Powerbook Titanium. But on this Powerbook also an external 2.5" USB powered hard disk worked fine, which on my current MacBook Pro seems to have problems with an insufficient power supply over the MacBook Pro's USB bus. I had the same problem on a PowerMac G5 and know someone, who had the same problem on a newer Powerbook G4. So it might be that the newer Macs don't supply enough power over USB to power the Zip 250 drive.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There's a USB standard for power provided over each port, which is 5V @ 500ma. The Mac provides this. If the equipment for some reason demands power which is beyond this, it is a) not USB standard compliant or b) will ship with an external power supply.