Can Macintosh HD reclaim unallocated partitions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ike, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Ike macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2006
    i am using bootcamp and through my vista partition i shrunk the size of the vista drive from 31 gb to 20 gb. through vista partition application it says that the 11 gb i took off is is now unallocated. on the os x in disk utility, it says that the vista partition is still 31 gb. How can i reclaim that unallocated plot and add it to my macintosh hd partition?
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    As far as I know, the only way to do this is to delete and recreate your Boot Camp partition using the Boot Camp Assistant. :(
  3. Ike thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2006
  4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Bootcamp lets you divide your machine into 2 parts, put Windows on the second part and boot into either one (but only one at a time). OSX can't reclaim the extra space Vista made because it is not aware of anything Vista did. As far as it knows the whole 31 GB is still allocated to Vista. In the same way you might be able to use Vista to reclaim that 11 GB of space it deallocated but you can not use it to allocate another 31 GB of space. It doesn't know it's there.

The easy way to resolve this is to back up your Vista data, do as wrldwzrd suggested, and then restore from your backup. If you are not backing up, and you are running two OS's, then you are doubly asking for trouble.

I don't know anything about Parallels, but maybe that would be a better solution for you. Good luck.