Can Macs still be turned on via keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, Feb 22, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

I remember back, long, long ago in the elementary school days when we had the colored Macs - you turned them on by pressing spacebar. Now I would actually like that with my Mac Pro so that I don't have to bend over to turn it on. Does this option still exist in Mac OS?

2. macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

That wasn't really turning them on " Powering Up " but bringing them out of sleep mode and yes that's still available.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I shut my computer down, then it cannot be turned on by keyboard, right? I know that the keyboard brings it out of sleep mode.

4. macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Correct!

5. macrumors member

I miss that button as well, but I haven't seen a power button on a keyboard since I had my PowerMac 6500.

6. macrumors 6502

You're incorrect. ADB Macs had power keys on the keyboard. Want to power one up? Push the key.

Early USB Macs had this, too. Apple went outside the USB spec to do it, however. The early iMacs the OP is remembering were in this group of Macs. Eventually Apple conformed to the USB spec and removed this feature.

It came back for a bit in a different form, on the ADC Macs. You could touch the power button on the monitor and turn on the Mac. Once ADC went away, the last "remote" power buttons were gone, too.

It's too bad. It was nice.

7. macrumors 6502

The power key wasn't the Space Bar as the OP pointed to. The power key was a separate key on the upper right.

If the user was pressing the Space Bar, that was to wake up the computer.

8. macrumors regular

I miss the days of the power button on the keyboard.

9. macrumors 68030

They had them on the colored iMacs, last time I remember seeing them.

10. macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

One of those things that made a Mac, well a Mac. Good old days of Mac OS 7.6.1 (and constant crashes ^^)

11. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Modern Macs do not have the power button (to turn on the computer) anymore. The last Mac keyboard to do this was the Bondi Blue G3 keyboards.
    [​IMG]
    Stop bickering you guys.

12. macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

All of the pre-1997-Jobs Macs had a power key to turn on the machine (the sideways triangle - also known as reset, if my memory serves me correctly).

Wow. How could I forget that? My iMac did have the regular power button on the keyboard.

13. macrumors 68030

I pointed that out, but apparently no one listened. :(

14. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah they were too busy trying to point out grammatical mistakes. Pictures are worth a million words my friend ;)

15. macrumors newbie

this is off topic, but why did apple abandon the ADC? it makes so much more sense than dvi. is it simply because dvi became the industry standard?

16. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

With ADC, Apple had to shunt an extra 28V through the MB to power the screen. There were few manufacturers who wanted to mess with it, and yea, DVI became the standard. Plus, they couldn't figure out how to put ADC on the laptops, so it was a major pain to use an ACD with a PowerBook.

As for the PowerButton on the Keyboard... That lasted from 1994 to 2001 (as the Cube, and it's extended keyboard dropped it). On the USB keyboards, you could not use the power button to restart the comptuer, like you could on ADB keyboards (that is one reason many people with B&W PowerMac G3s use ADB keyboards. Also, it was one of the later PowerMacs (and iMac G4/Alu PowerBook) that removed the circuitry from the computer to work with the PowerButton. Considering so many PCs can now be turned on from the keyboard, it seems like something that Apple should bring back, using the trianular symbol, or as I called it the "Jo-ke-nin" (from a dream). Also, remember you can use various key combinations on the keyboard along with the eject button to regain some of the functionally of the power button, like bringing up the "special" dialog (so you can put the computer to sleep, restart, or shutdown).

TEG

17. macrumors 6502

Well, one, PC people had to buy an adapter to use the displays that had ADC connectors and two, Apple eventually needed dual-link DVI for the 30" display, so they dropped the proprietary ADC, in favor of the more common standard DVI and dual-link DVI. Plus there is the power mess that the person above explained.

18. macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I actually rather like the look of that keyboard. I wonder if it was plugged into a more modern mac such as my macbook, would the power button work?

19. macrumors 68010

JesterJJZ

I miss the power button on my display...

20. macrumors 6502a

a456

Given that screens are getting bigger and in turn further away from the users in a lot of instances it would make sense to have a power button on the keyboard. It would definitely save me reaching around to the back of my iMac.

21. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

The power button will bring up the "special" dialog, but will not startup the computer as the circuitry has been removed.

TEG

22. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Check out InsomniacX, its software that lets you sleep the display when you want (like having a power button on your display).

23. macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I really wish Apple would add the power button from the old G3 keyboards to their current keyboards. It is so much easier to press a button on the keyboard than to have to reach under the desk to turn it on. That said, I use my MacBook most of the time, so it's not a huge issue for me.

24. macrumors 68010

JesterJJZ

Can't you do that normally? I believe you can sleep your machine using the power button on the ACD.

25. macrumors regular

Actually, the Macally iKey USB keyboard has a power button, but I'm not sure if it's still being made. In any case it won't turn on my G5, but it does bring up the Sleep/Restart/Shutdown dialog.

:cool: