Can Matrix Reloaded beat Spidey? Titanic?

Discussion in 'Community' started by lmalave, Apr 29, 2003.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Ok, the Matrix buzz is slowly building to an incredible roar.

Will Matrix Reloaded beat Spidey's $114 Million opening weekend?

Will it beat Titanic's $600 Million domestic take?

Is this the most anticipated movie ever, or has it not surpassed Star Wars: Phantom Menace yet?

2. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

My votes would be yes, maybe, and no. I think it could take Spidey's record. I mean, Spidey was fun flick, but we're talking Matrix, dude. Everyone's going to go see it. As for Titanic's $600 Million domestic and $1.6 Billion worldwide, it'd be tough to beat. For numbers that huge, not only does everybody have to see it, but you have to have people seeing it repeatedly. As for the most hyped movie ever, Phantom Menace has to take the prize because of the extraordinarily length of time between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace.

3. dxp4acu macrumors regular

it's not as hyped as lord of the rings. It's as hyped as Austin Powers sequels (which did amazingly well). You're overhyping it my friend!

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Well time will tell. I liked Titantic and also the original Matrix. Saw them both on DVD! ;) It seems that movies just keep making more and more, where it will end nobody knows! :p

5. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, the original Matrix did incredible box office by word of mouth even though Phantom Menace was supposed to be the big story that year. This time around everybody knows what the Matrix is about and it's going to be huge, man :eek:

6. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

matrix will be better than any of those.

i boycotted titanic when it came out, and i have yet to see it. i will never see it!

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good man! Never have seen Titanic, never will!
    Can't wait for the Matrix sequal(s)!

8. jadariv macrumors regular

I liked the Matrix and am looking forward to the 2 sequels but i am very skeptical that it will break any records. First off, it doesn't have a fan base that reaches back 40 years like spidey or 60 years like lord of the rings. 2nd, it doesn't have a childlike sense of action that can bring in the under 13 set like star wars. 3rd, it doesn't have a really big love story like titanic that some people can cry to. And 4th, there is always the anti-Keanu crowd out there who just won't go see the film even if it does kick butt.

Also: Orginal movie grossed $171,414,892.

I think this one can do $250,000,000-300,000,000. Probably an 80-90 million opening weekend.

9. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

It will for sure beat Spiderman's opening weekend but I'm not so sure about Titanic. Matrix has a HUGE underground following not to mention with the IMAX release they're going to make a killing.

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

It'll definitely beat Spiderman, but I doubt it'll beat Titanic. For those of you who have not seen Titanic, I envy you...:D

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I would like to see it beat spiderman but there are a few problems.
    1) spiderman is more universal and more widely known.
    2) there are ppl who didn't like /not understand the first moive and won't see the second.
    3) i know it will do well and i hope it beats records but i dont' count on it either.

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

the matrices will prevaile this year. (matrices is the plural form of matrix, learned it in math). i say this because...
    1) people will go and rent and buy the first one to refresh thier minds. make a lot of money there.
    2) merchandise
    3)box office sales (obviously)

people hat saw the first and didn't understand it will try to go and try understanding it again because it will be a topic in a lot of places.

x-men will do good, but not as good as the matrices.

13. dxp4acu macrumors regular

Not mainstream

I can't wait to see it. I felt like the first matrix was one of those rare movies that defined our generation. I told that to my fiancee and she hadn't even seen it. So of course we watched it this past weekend!

The point is, there is a huge following underground or whatever, and of course the people on a board like this will love it, but as for mainstream movie-goers it is not nearly a spiderman.

I say it'll finish in the top 30 of all-time, and if it is better than the original (which is hard for most sequels to pull off), it could break the top 15.

I am a 18-24 male, and for this category it will be through the roof. As for other groups, however, it won't be. This is perfect for all the guys in the dorms to go see or whatever.

And, yes, I have boycotted seeing Titanic as well!!!!!

14. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

The Matrix sequals, just like the original, are all rated R :rolleyes:

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

16. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Originally posted by bennetsaysargh

i boycotted titanic when it came out, and i have yet to see it. i will never see it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good man! Never have seen Titanic, never will!
    Can't wait for the Matrix sequal(s)!

I watched it on video just to see if it was as overhyped and lame as it looked, I fast forwarded the boring bits, muted the celine dion winge fest bit and confirmed that it was an over-rated pile of drawn out chick flick garbage.

They've certainly got a formula for making more films that bug me though :

1. Create a film based on a well known tragic event with a very high fatality rate.

2. Introduce you to 2 unlikely character of the opposite sex.

3. Make you hate the male one within about 5 minutes by making him as annoying as possible.

4. Watch them slowly get it on (VERY slowly, just so it's SUPER TRAGIC when one or both of them inevitably die).

5. Sympathise (or laugh sadistically, it's only a film) with the hopeless plight of the characters as they realise their sudden infatuation with each other is coming to an horific end.

6 Be glad the one that DOES die at the end is the one you've really hated all the way through the film and that the whole farce is finally over and you can do something else with what's left of you're time.

:D

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes it can beat spider man, no it is impossible to beat titanic.

Well you cannot beat titanic wordwide, US based it is still waaayyy hard to beat.

18. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Oh, whoops. Well that puts a damper on things. Well, then it will destroy all records for an R rated movie for sure.

19. sinbushar macrumors regular

EXTREME ITALIAN ACCENT:

VIVA THE MATRIX...

NORMAL:

all the rest of you suckas can go to hell:cool:

20. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Beat Spidey? Maybe. TIT-anic? Uh, no...?

The real bar to entry in this will be the R ratings. Gen X and Gen Ys will help this problem since they're the original kiddie gen who were raised on Star Wars and who are still craving...uh...a good story with spiritual and philosophical ideas.

TIT-anic will be hard to beat. Once again the R rating. We won't be seeing millions of mindless young girls as repeat customers. TIT-anic was a little girl's film after all :D. Maybe Gen X and Y will pick up the slack. But the real issue is: will the W-brothers make good on providing really awesome insights into their new film? It all depends on this factor which will either get repeat business past the first two weeks (the hype alone will do this, the spectacle alone will keep it in the top ten for quite a while) or whether people will be sorely disappointed. I'm banking to some degree on the former happening.

:D