Can my computer be authorized for more than one iTMS account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Feb 15, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to authorize my computer to play with more than one iTMS account? Or do I have to de-authorize one account before I play a song purchased with a different account? Hope that makes sense.

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

You can do it. My girlfriend and I are both authorized on each other's PCs for our iTMS accounts. When you go to play a song DRM'ed under someone else's iTMS account it will prompt for the username and pasword, but then both accounts will be authorized. I would think you could have as many authorizations as you want. I've never tried it, but I'm assuming the deauthorize computer option would wipe out all of the authorizations on the machine. I haven't used that option since I add my girlfriend's authorization to my computer. Perhaps, if you have multiple authorizations it prompts for which ones to remove. Does anyone know the answer to that question?

3. SteveC macrumors 6502

feak is right. :) You can put music from another account on your computer, and when you attempt to play it, all you have to do is enter the password of the account that "owns" (bought/downloaded) the music.

4. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. SteveC macrumors 6502

By the way, I'm not sure about that one. I can try it later... I assume it would ask though (since it's an Apple product ;) ). Meaning: Apple programs seem to do what you'd expect a "smart" program to do. :p

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Just don't forget to deauthorize her computer if you two break up ;)

7. tubedogg macrumors regular

To de-authorize you must enter the music account's username and password that you want to de-authorize...that's how it knows which one to de-authorize.

8. SteveC macrumors 6502

Perfect. :) Just like I expected. Thanks for the info. :)

9. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

On a related note, while I think there's no limit to how many accounts may be authorized on a particular computer, there is a limit for iPods. You can only copy authorized music from up to 5 accounts to a single iPod. I found this out when several of my friends signed up for the PayPal/iTunes 5 song giveaway and then let me use the free song credits as gifts. Whoops!

10. shambolic macrumors regular

Correct. So in the case that you need to send your computer in for repair (I speak as a grizzled veteran of many iBook logic failures), you need to remember to individually deauthorize all of the accounts for which you have music on your computer, not just the main one.

In my case, most of my music is under my account, but I have a handful of songs that my wife purchased with her Apple ID, and vice versa.

That one caught me out on repair #3, when I'd wrongly assumed that deauthorizing once would clear all authorizations, but I got it right for #4. The Music Store customer service people are, however, happy to help if you forget to deauthorize correctly and you're prepared to grovel nicely... ;)

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hmmm, I just got a new powerbook and deauthorized my iMac. It didn't ask for a log in name at all. When I went to authorize my PB though, I had to authorize each of the two Apple accounts. When I went to check my iTunes account info after all of the above, it showed that each account was only associated with one computer.

12. tubedogg macrumors regular

That seems rather...arbitrary...at best. Are you positive on that? Apple should be making that clear, if so, since they make a big deal out of the fact that you can transfer your music to an unlimited number of iPods.

13. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Quite positive. As far as I can tell, you can have music from any number of iTMS accounts in your iTunes library, but only from five accounts on any one iPod. Presumably if you had 10 iTMS accounts and 2 iPods, you could split them up with 5 accounts on each one, but I've never tried that! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

14. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Whenever i buy an album or a song from ITMS i always burn them and then rip them back. This does take some time but then i have 100% control over my libary and can play them on as many computers as i want.

15. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

I'm no audiophile but re-ripping is surely going to result in a loss of quality?