Can my computer play an HD-DVD made in DVD studio pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kingsly, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

If I want to make myself a DVD of HD footage (for my own archives and viewing enjoyment) as an HD-DVD, can I play it in a Mac at full quality HD... or do I need an HD-DVD player?

Edit: Upon reflection, it makes sense that if my computer can burn an HD-DVD that it can read it. Could someone confirm though?

2. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

that's the way it would work, but there aren't any macs with an HD-DVD burner in them...
    not that you couldn't have an external one or something. :)

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would assume that if the laser can burn a dvd in HD that it should have no problem then reading it.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well you could burn off a HD resolution divx/xvid/mov/h.264/mpg4 yata yata file on to a data disk and play it computers and special dvd players.

5. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

whats the deal with the HD tab in DVDplayer preffs

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My understanding is that it allows you to play HD-DVDs that are stored as files on the computer already -- e.g. just like if you copy a DVD to the computer (without even Handbrake -- just drag and drop the VIDEO_TS onto the computer), DVD Player can play it. So it supports the data format, but the computer doesn't have the appropriate reader hardware for the discs itself.

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I thought the deal with HD-DVDs was that they still used red lasers, still had a .12mm (??) coating, etc... but were compressed more, or were denser. DVD studio pro manual makes no mention (that I cold find, knowing me its right there on the first page... :eek: ) of special media (ie. you are allowed to use a DVD-5 to make a really short HDDVD) or drives to make HD-DVDs.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Again, the difference between the data encoding spec and the disc spec. From Wikipedia:

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yes, the red-laser HD DVD-R you create with DVD Studio Pro 4 will play back in any G5 or Intel Mac with Tiger (10.4.2 or .3 or some dot-release, or later).

I've created an HD DVD-R in DVDSP 4 on one of my contract jobs, and it played back great on my G5 desktop at home. I have yet to try it on one of those Toshiba set-top HD DVD players though. According to the Toshiba's specs they should be able to play HD DVD-Rs we make in DVDSP 4.

10. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Thanks, question answered. :)