Can my computer upgrade to OS 10.4?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xiaoxu5101, Mar 7, 2006.

1. xiaoxu5101 macrumors member

I am thinking about to upgrade my PowerMac G4 (AGP Model, at 576MB Ram) from 10.2 to 10.4. I had upgrade my computer processer from 400Mhz to a 1.2Ghz Sonnet Encore/ST G4 processor.

When I checked the apple site, I saw one of the hardware requirement on 10.4 is it do not support "processor upgrade card". However, on the Sonnet site, it said that the 1.2Ghz processor upgrade card ( http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore_stg4.html ) is support 10.4.

So my question is can my computer be upgrade with this 1.2Ghz Sonnet Encore/ST G4 processor?:confused:

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Apple doesn't support processor upgrade cards with OS X upgrades because they don't want the extra headaches involved with supporting hardware that is not theirs as far as I can tell. The fact that Sonnet says it will work with 10.4 should mean that you can upgrade to 10.4 without a problem. Just don't go to Apple for support if you do run into a problem.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All processor upgrades are technically unsupported by Apple. It's up to the manufacturer of the upgrade to make sure they work, and they do work. Just make certain that you follow the installation directions to the letter. Many require a firmware update, which has to be completed before the upgrade is installed.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if Sonnet is saying it will work then you're most likely to find that it does......the problem I've seen in the past is that you wont be able to count on the upgrade card working with future releases of OS X......it'll be a maybe yes, maybe no situation

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well, I would NOT worry about that if I were you.....

I installed a G4 upgrade in my B&W/G3 back when 10.1 came out. It worked just fine all the way through 10.4.3, when I sold the box, and AFAIK, it is still running today w/10.4.5 :)

Apple just says that crap about no support so you dont call them if something does go wrong that is caused by the processor upgrade itself.....

Say for instance, you install an aftermarket 4brl carburator in your 3 year old mustang, and suddenly it wont start. Do you REALLY think Ford is gonna help you solve the problem ????? meez dont tink so :D

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

I used a Sawtooth G4 450mhz with the Sonnet 1.2ghz upgrade for several months, and it ran 10.4 without any issues.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yeah? well I say that from experience. it's not a matter of "support" where you can call up apple and will they help you?.....no, it's a matter of whether the card will WORK properly with future versions of the OS.....Apple is NOT spending time to make sure 3rd party card work, that's the potential problem.....and if your card doesnt work with the next version of the OS......too bad.......some cards will work fine over time.....some wont

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

what apple is saying is if you have a sub spec mac and then upgrade the cpu it wont help, seeing as tiger requires a mac with built in firewire and enough ram, that is what it checks not the cpu.

10. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

several b&w's and g4's with sonnet cards, from g3@500 up to g4@1.4ghz, have used every version of x from 10.0 up to 10.4.5 and have yet to have a single problem. even the old-school beige/powerpc stuff can be made to run X, but there are lots of extra steps.

standard 'we didn't make it and we won't help you' line on every version of mac os that i have purchased so far.

11. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Your machine will run Tiger just peachy, but don't expect any support from Apple if things go bonkers unless you have the original CPU in the machine.

CPU upgrade cards "not supported" is just talking about Apple's support.

12. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

exctly. i saw a thing about a guy who put a G5 in his mac mini and got it to work, i forget where it was