Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Hi -

I'd like to buy a camcorder that has analog to digital passthrough, but only my laptop doesn't have the capability already built in...or I could buy a converter if one costs under a hundred bucks.

Secondly, I heard there's a converter that can be bought that makes it possible to put onto c.d. audio tapes and even records. Would this converter be the same converter as above question (e.g. will it record all kinds of media such as VHS, records, audio tapes of various sizes, etc.)?

Finally - and this is TOTALLY UNRELATED but I thought I'd ask while I'm here (!) - is there a way to view still photos from camera on this laptop, without having to import the photos? Or, if not, is there a way to import only a few - such as the last few taken - so that I wouldn't have to import all the hundreds of photos if I'm short on time?

Thanks very much!

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Image Capture in your Applications folder will let you do the second one.
To select only a few, command (apple) click the ones you want and they should be highligted. Then you can choose where you want to download them to.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Hi - I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're saying. So if I buy a converter or adapter or whatever you call it, will it:

a) convert VHS tapes to CD's going straight from the VCR to the laptop?

or

b) convert VHS tapes to CD's as well as convert audio tapes and records onto CD?

And regardless of whether a or b, you're talking about buying this extra part, correct?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Image Capture yet...

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Greenone said:
Hi - I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're saying. So if I buy a converter or adapter or whatever you call it, will it:

or

b) convert VHS tapes to CD's as well as convert audio tapes and records onto CD?

And regardless of whether a or b, you're talking about buying this extra part, correct?

Image Capture will do what you want. It's an Apple Application, just open your Application folder, open up Image Capture and then hook up your camera to your laptop.

I have a Canon Mini DV that I use to convert VHS to digital files. It works great. Here is another product that will do the same, it's not cheap at $299 but I've heard it works well.

The data coming into the laptop won't automatically be burned to a CD, it's imported into iMovie where you can edit it, add effects, titles etc and then you can either burn it to a data cd or if you have a DVD burner, use iDVD and burn it to a DVD disc.

I've never converted audio tapes or vinyl to digital so I can't help you there.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Oh now I see where the confusing lies...I left out a simple little word: if (which changes the sound of my whole question)!

The camera I *really* want is the Panasonic something 'r other 300 which does not have the analog to digital passthrough as most do these days - but it has many other superior features which make it worth it...IF there is something I can buy that will make it possible for me to link my VCR up with my laptop (not to a camera - as this camera I'm interested in doesn't have that feature).

Does that make more sense?

That item you linked me to looks pretty cool but yes is too much money. I was wondering if there's some much less expensive option out there. If not (there's that word again), I'll just buy the Canon Elura 100 which isn't as nice of a camcorder but does have that option (also may work better with Macs, as a matter of fact).

Thanks again and hope to hear back from someone soon! :)

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Greenone said:
That item you linked me to looks pretty cool but yes is too much money. I was wondering if there's some much less expensive option out there. If not (there's that word again), I'll just buy the Canon Elura 100 which isn't as nice of a camcorder but does have that option (also may work better with Macs, as a matter of fact).

Thanks again and hope to hear back from someone soon! :)

I bought my Canon ZR40 for the same reason. It was less than the Dazzle Bridge but I got a video camera too. I had looked around but the Dazzle was the only option I found four years ago.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Greenone said:

or

Sorry my first post was confusing. Image Capture will let you do the "totally unrelated" part: viewing still photos from your camera and importing selected photos. Hope that makes more sense.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's more than $100, but the elgato Hybrid will do exactly what you want: import audio and video onto your Mac. The EyeTV250 is even better, as it doesn't use your Mac's CPU to do the conversion but instead does it with its own hardware (the Hybrid can be a bit taxing on G4s). There are, I think, cheaper solutions as well. As you're using a PowerBook, though, I highly recommend a converter with built-in encoding hardware.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Greenone said:
Hi -

I'd like to buy a camcorder that has analog to digital passthrough, but only my laptop doesn't have the capability already built in...or I could buy a converter if one costs under a hundred bucks.

Secondly, I heard there's a converter that can be bought that makes it possible to put onto c.d. audio tapes and even records. Would this converter be the same converter as above question (e.g. will it record all kinds of media such as VHS, records, audio tapes of various sizes, etc.)?

Finally - and this is TOTALLY UNRELATED but I thought I'd ask while I'm here (!) - is there a way to view still photos from camera on this laptop, without having to import the photos? Or, if not, is there a way to import only a few - such as the last few taken - so that I wouldn't have to import all the hundreds of photos if I'm short on time?

Thanks very much!

First - Yes, you will need a pass thru camera or a converter of some type. Make sure you get a FireWire cable with your purchase, my new Sony camera did not come with one. Use iMovie to capture the video in real time, then you can edit it and burn a DVD using iDVD. This is pretty easy to do but it does take some time.

Second - I think your powerbook has audio in mini jack port, so all you need is a mini jack to whatever type of connection is an the devise playing the tape or record. You can use Garage Band to record and edit, then it will export it to iTunes to convert to MP3 or whatever other format you wish. I hook up an old record player to my iMac to do this, easy but it also takes awhile. Note: if your powerbook does not have an audio in port, you can buy a mini jack to USB audio converter.
Edit : Griffin iMic USB Audio Interface http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/5.RSLID?mco=9B79797E&nplm=TF815LL%2FA

Third - Connect your camera, close iPhoto if it opens automatically, then open Image Capture. I has the options to transfer your photos your looking for.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Greenone said:
...is there a way to view still photos from camera on this laptop, without having to import the photos?

You don't need to use any app to view them as you can just plug the camera in (or plug the card in with a card reader) and view the shots in the finder, you can set the finder to show large thumbnails. You can also drag the shots straight into preview to view them, also without importing.

In fact you can drag the photos straight into photoshop, again without importing them.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
dogbone said:
You don't need to use any app to view them as you can just plug the camera in (or plug the card in with a card reader) and view the shots in the finder, you can set the finder to show large thumbnails. You can also drag the shots straight into preview to view them, also without importing.

In fact you can drag the photos straight into photoshop, again without importing them.

Why does that only work with some cameras? My sony P/S will mount like an external drive, buy my 20D will not, weird.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Bibulous said:
Why does that only work with some cameras? My sony P/S will mount like an external drive, buy my 20D will not, weird.

It might be due to a setting in the camera set up, I think there's an option to switch between 'mass storage' or PTP that might cause a camera to not mount. But it's better to use a card reader anyway, I hate plugging those dinky usb plugs directly into a camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.