Can my Mac connect to the internet via my PC's wireless network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jgiles, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jgiles macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a new Mac user and totally stuck.

I have a PC connected to the internet via a broadband modem. It has a wireless network adaptor fitted. I want to connect my MacBook to the internet via the PC's wireless connection. The MacBook recognises the PC's wireless network and will connect to it, but the browser on the Mac cannot find an internet connection. Any idea what I should do?
  2. bushfrog macrumors member

Sep 23, 2006

Do you have a router?

As i am not sure but you need some way of sharing the connection ..
    Dont count me on this !!
  3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    PC's cannot do this, you can however plug the internet connection into your mac and share the connection with the PC using Internet connection sharing (System Preferences==>Sharing==>Internet)

other than that, the best option is to get a wireless router for around £40.
  4. dwishbone macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    On the Moon
    another vote for the router...route. just go get a relatively cheap and well featured router like the Linksys WRT54G. you should be able to hook the modem directly into it and it will share the internet to both your mac and pc.
    its by far the easiest and most trouble free method and should only cost about $40...or even less.
    windows does have internet connection sharing built in, but it blows complete chunks.
  5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    I believe PCs CAN do this. Try going into Network Connections on the PC (in Control Panel) and right click on your internet connection. Click Properties, and somewhere there is an option to share it...
  6. jgiles thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
  7. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2006
    Flyover country
    PCs absolutely can share a wireless connection. It's called and Ad-hoc network.

I agree it's not the ideal way to connect to the internet, but it's not impossible.
  8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    But too much hassle. Get a router and you won't lose as much hair.
  9. enad123 macrumors newbie

Dec 18, 2008
    Connect mac to internet through pc

ok i have a similar setup except my pc is connected wirelessly to a router which is connected to a broadband card. how can i connect my ibook directly to my pc through ethernet and get on the internet? What steps would i have to take?
  10. fireman- macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2008
    ok I just joined this site to ask this question...
    I just got my macbook for christmas and I cant connect to the internet. I have a wireless router set up and a wireless network set up, I have used them many times before. now the macbook comes along, and it finds the network it joins it, yet i still can not get on the internet. so i try the network dianosticks thing, and it just tells me to restart the devices meaning the modem and router, i do so, and nothing happens, I have been trying all day to do this... ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRICIATED!