Can my Mac make my office paperless?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jessearl, Apr 11, 2005.

1. jessearl macrumors member

I'm getting buried in paperwork in my office. Does anyone use their Mac to make their office paperless?

Meaning, scan all incoming documents into their computer for storage, filing, organization.

Additional question: Would Tiger be able to search a scanned document?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Mac OS X has built-in support for receiving and sending faxes.

You could scan and store all documents, but Spotlight does not parse text from a scanned file. Most scanners however come with an OCR that will usually do pretty good at turning printed text into editable plain text that Spotlight can search.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Adobe would sure love to hear from you. Acrobat is their stab at making this a reality.

Get the full or pro version and some OCR software and you could potentially never use paper again... well, not really 'cos it's always good to have hard copies of stuff for legal & financial purposes.

There are downloadable time-limited fully-functional demos on Adobe's website... you could do worse than starting thinking about PDFs as the answer to your problem.

And of course, OS X is at home with PDFs, too.

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Will we ever have a paper less office? All the 'real work' I do goes to...get printed. All the 'fun' stuff I do stays on my Mac.

AppleMatt

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

HeHe :D

Don't know if anyone has told you,

but...

The term "Paper less Office", when translated back into English means "Paper filled Officed"

The only way to elimanate A4 related hell is to aim the HP into the nearest compactor!

TAKE AIM!
    PREPARE TO FIRE!

6. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

What exactly do I need to do to get my iBook set up to receive faxes? Just have it plugged into a phone line and use the information from Apple help?