Can my machines make that much of a difference?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by 18thTomorrow, Jul 19, 2004.

1. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2004
    The Alpha Quadrant
    Hey Guys,
    I'm interested in the folding thing but not sure I have much to contribute.
    My primary computer is a brand-new iBook G4 1ghz. Is folding recommended on notebooks? Primarily I'm worried about overheating, battery life and productivity. Whenever I'm not using this machine, it's asleep--doesn't seem like I'll get much done that way.

My other computer is my beloved Powermac G3 350 mhz. I don't think I will be using it much now that I have the iBook, but just can't bear to part with it--it was my first mac! :p It's on and connected to the internet via cable 24/7, and could probably be folding most of that time. Lately its only use has been keeping my photo archive, serving my iTunes library, and my siblings use it once in awhile for writing papers and stuff.

What say you?
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Fold with the PowerMac, not with the iBook. Yeah the iBook will be faster but since it's asleep a lot I wouldn't bother. That and when I was folding with my iBook the fan was on *all* the time. I'm not worried about too many things but fans tend to stop fanning if they're on all the time... at least... that's been my past experience. Fold away! Catch us if you can!
  3. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Every little bit helps! Do it for the greater good. :)
  4. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    I just got the same iBook as you, and I have it automatically fold. It won't fall asleep if its plugged in, but if its on the battery it will fall asleep, so there is no problem.
  5. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    Stupid busy forum message deleted my post...

Anyways, fold with the ibook, have it fall asleep when the battery is powering it, but not when its plugged into the wall.
  6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Hey Britt,

Thanks for your interest in folding! I agree with SilentPanda. Fold with the PowerMac, since it's on 24/7. It won't fly through projects, but it'll at least do the job! And make most, if not all, of the deadlines. The iBook, on the other hand, personally I wouldn't. Heat and battery life are definitely factors to consider. How much do you use your iBook?
  7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I tried folding wih my PB but quickly stopped. I ran tempature monitor and saw it going up constanytly and the fans buzzing. I shut F@H down once the temp reached 60 degrees celcius.

I would not recommend folding with a laptop (PB or IB)
  8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    If you do fold with on your laptop 24/7, use a heat removal platform (guys help me out here, how is it called??). It has two fans in it and you place it under your laptop. The bottom of your laptop will become a giant heatsink and keeps your laptop much cooler!!
  9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    My only computer is a G3-400 I upped to a G4-500 via a Sonnet CPU. Just today I reached the top 500 (496) in the team rankings and I started in April. My G3 runs 24/7 and I have 3 people using it a various time throughout the day (my wife, my daughter and I) Right now I'm crunching a 206 point GROMAC that will really escalate me farther.