Can my MBP wake me up each morning??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silence, Apr 5, 2006.

1. silence macrumors member

As the title states.. is there anyway to make an alarm out of a laptop?

I used to run iAlarm on my PowerMac, but dont know if it will work on the MBP...

2. frenetic macrumors regular

I think there is an app called iTunes alarm or something similar. Look it up on versiontracker. It starts to play your iTunes at a set time. If you don't want to leave your MBP on the whole night use energy saver for going to sleep and waking up automatically.

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

iTunesleep wakes me up every morning. It'll wake from sleep or shutdown and will also fade out and shut down at night too if you wish. Excellent app.

4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Can Laptops wake from sleep when there shut ?

5. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

My PowerBook sure can..

6. silence thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks, exactly what i was after!

So my laptop can wake from complete shutdown, with the lid shut??

That would be awesome, i'll try downloading the app now.

Cheers :)

7. Togglehead macrumors 6502

wait wait...not from complete shutdown i dont think

8. silence thread starter macrumors member

Hm, it states on the website that it can "start up or wake up your Mac".. So I'm guessing it will 'wake up' from sleep, and 'start up' from shutdown.. pretty cool.

I'm just wondering how this is possible if the lid of the laptop is physically shut.. :confused:

I'll give it a try over the next few days, if it can i'll be quite impressed :cool:

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Why use an App, when OS X has it built-in?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You'd also need an AppleScript or something to start up iTunes, but yes, you can do it this way. It looks like iTunesleep has some nice features like fading in and out, easy interface for setting multiple alarms and choosing iTunes tracks, etc.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, this is interesting ... my brother is visiting in a couple of weeks and he'll be staying in the study/guest room where the iMac is.

When I was working in Germany, he thought it was funny to phone me (once or twice a week) in the middle of the night. I'll try to set this up to blast out some horrendous metal at 3am.

12. silence thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that blaskillet4, but as WildCowboy stated that will just turn the computer on (not sure if that works with the lid closed either).. I could even try loading iTunes as a Login Item (from the Accounts control pane).. but it still won't get my Library to start playing! And i don't know how to run scripts..

It looks like iTunesleep is still the best option for me at this stage :eek:

13. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

That's evil. But hilarious!

14. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Probably not a good idea to use this with an ibook or possible for that matter with the lid down?

I like the idea of being woken by itunes but my ibook is the only one I keep in my room.

I get sick of the same song each morning from my mobile :)

15. fimac macrumors member

16. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Funny idea, hopefully he doesn't put his foot through your iMac though. Some people aren't very rational when woken from a sound sleep, especially with loud noises.

17. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

There a little iTunes alarm widget that I use. The only thing is it won't wake the computer up.

18. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My thoughts exactly! :eek: But it's a very funny idea.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Back in the olden days when I had an original iBook, I used to set it up to start up automatically (via Energy Saver control panel), and I had put a movie into my "Startup Items" folder... that would play very loudly and say abnoxious things like "pick my nose"

20. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

When my alarm clock broke I needed an I used my ibook as an alarm clock.
    Although I set it to have itunes play when it turned on, I found myself already awake from the startup chime.
    Also the iBook will start up with the lid closed but the OS boots it goes to sleep.

21. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You can use the wake up/shut down settings in system preferences then make an alarm in iCal that opens up a song in iTunes.

22. Project macrumors 68020

I cosign awaken.

I have system preferences wake my Mac up about 30 minutes before the alarm goes off, which allows it to download the latest podcasts and check my mail automatically. As my iPod is already docked, the podcasts are automatically transferred to the iPod.

My music starts, and I use my cell to connect to the Mac via Salling Clicker, to change the music and read my mail from the phone.

Then I get up :)

ps Awaken also lets you put in reminders as well to display. Its a really nice app

[​IMG]