Can my PB disable a network (ie make it so no computers can connect to internet)?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by nolaPBG4, Dec 17, 2003.

1. nolaPBG4 macrumors newbie

I have a 15.2" Aluminum PowerBook 1.25 ghz running (as of tonite) 10.3.2.

I seem to be carrying a network problem along with me wherever i go - in new orleans, where i go to school, me and my roomate share a cable modem connected through a router - randomly our internet just stops working, then starts up again, then stops (on both computers). i thought this had something to do with the cable modem/service down there.

but now i'm back home, in delaware, and after a week of no problems connecting, the same thing is happening - no computer on our home network can connect.

is it possible that one of my settings is disabling the network somehow?

it seems like a weird thing to be coincidental..........

ps - i just upgraded to 10.3.2 tonite, so this is obviously something that happened w/ 10.3.1 and 10.3.2

thanks for any help!:confused: :confused:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I remember, but can't find it now, where you can share interconnections over different Network Ports. Try creating a new location, and make your settings again. If that doesn't fix it, call Apple and ask for help, it may be a network card problem.

TEG

3. blybug macrumors 6502a

blybug

This may or may not be your problem, but it's not otherwise obvious and would be an easy fix if it is...

Check your System Preferences...I forget if it's under Sharing or Internet or Network or what (sorry I'm at work stuck on a PC or I'd check for you). There is a setting/checkbox for "Share this computer's internet connection" which allows your computer so act as sort of a software router for others on the network (in the event you didn't have a hardware router).

I remember when Jaguar first came out there were reports usually coming from university computer labs where internet connections were going down due to people checking this box. Somehow the individual computers trying to act as "software" routers interferes with the actual hardware routers, resulting in lost connections on other clients on the network.

4. nolaPBG4 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i actually noticed that for the first time while i was playing around with this problem, but its never been checked -

(the "if you check this you may bing down the network" warning scared me off...)

thanks though, does this seem like something my computer would be capable of doing?

5. nolaPBG4 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've tried making different locations before as a fix (in new orleans) and it didn't seem like it helped, but i'll try again here.

can't believe i gotta applecare already! i've only had it for 2 months! i guess they can fix my white spots too though.......