can not connect osx and os9

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jvaska, Dec 13, 2003.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

i'm completely stumped...unfortunately i'm not familiar enough with osx panther to make this work...

any tutorials out there that people know of?

argh...jv

2. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

Are these 2 Mac's on an ethernet network? If so, you must have file sharing on and also select appletalk. On Mac OS 9, bring up the appletalk control panel and select ethernet then quit, and say yes to save. Then bring up the file sharing control panel, and check the TCP/IP box, and turn on file sharing. On Mac OS X, bring up system preferences, select network, select appletalk, and check the box to turn make it active. In system preferences, then select sharing, and enable file sharing. In Mac OS 9, use the chooser to find the mac os x machine. In mac os x, in the finder, goto the Go menu item, and select connect to server.

3. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, they are just wired together...i've tried both kinds of ethernet cables (the standard one and the one with the extra wire or whatever it is)...

i've got all my settings as you have them...with no luck...and somewhere in the process my new mac chewed up the internet connections settings and lost them...???

it seems that with jaguar i CAN'T set things up to work with an ethernet connection and usb modem...because if i turn on the ethernet the modem won't talk to the isp and if i setup the modem then the ethernet is clearly not working...

very weird...

i'm reading about a TON of problem other jaguar users are having with networking...this really sucks...

v

4. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

well, as a follow-up, i'm posting what i learned...

first of all...i was connecting computer to computer (not via a hub)...when you do this you don't have to have a cross-ethernet cable...i reset my ip numbers manually to 10.0.0.1 & 10.0.0.2 respectively...

but the big issue is that you can not have both your internet and your ethernet running at the same time...only one works at a time if you aren't using a hub/router...

once i figured this out (thanks to apple support files) all was good and my transfer speed is wicked fast...

i would use my hub, but since i'm in europe i need to buy a power converter device so i don't blow it up...will be nice...

good luck...v