Can Office for Mac 2008 be installed on more than 1 computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Whackintosh, Apr 22, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Not talking about giving it away or selling it to another person or anything like that. I'm just hoping to install Office on my (upcoming) desktop setup as well as on my Macbook so that I always have access to it. This would be the full version, not the educational one.

2. macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Yes, you can install it on up to three computers.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 6502

When I purchased it they said it was good for two installs.

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
    MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC HOME & STUDENT EDITION
    MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC STANDARD

Office for Mac Professional 2004 is limited to two installs.

6. macrumors 65816

telecomm

The Home and Student version is good for three installations. It's probably also worth note that you can move an installation from one computer to another.

7. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ar'nt there THREE product keys on the side of the box? At least there are on the ones sold in NZ.

Three keys, three installs.

8. macrumors 6502

Mine is Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Student Edition, but I did purchase it at a discounted price as a student of my university. Possibly makes a difference?

Only one product key on mine, that says it is good for two installs.

9. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The price you pay has no bearing on the license agreement.

10. macrumors demi-god

fishkorp

I've got the Mega Wonderful Wow This Is Awesome Edition (whatever the "high end" one was when it came out, Expression Media or something?) that allows it to be installed on 2, but can only run it on 1 machine at a time. So frustrating. If I open up Word and my wife has an Office app open I get the "someone else is using Office..." message and Word quits on me. I got it for free though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much, lol.

11. macrumors 6502

I know the version I got from the bookstore had a different licensing agreement (one key, install on a single machine + mobile device), than the retail boxed version I have (three separate keys, any type of machines).

12. macrumors 6502

It would if there is a different license agreement offered to university stores.

13. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the licensing agreement doesn't change, no matter where the software is sold.

14. macrumors 6502

I may be wrong, so I will put this as a question and not a statement. If it does not change why does my product specifically say...

"Microsoft Office 2008 for Macintosh Student Select License and Media Bundle. For sale to students, faculty and staff only."

And if it in fact does not change, then you are saying that the IT guys are our store are wrong and my software is good for 3 installs?

15. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because the VERSION is for education. The license agreement follows the VERSION, not any specific discount or vendor. Your IT guys are not the authoritative word... Microsoft is. Just read the license agreement that goes with your version. If your IT guys disagree with that, they're absolutely wrong.

16. macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Not sure about the legality of it, but youcan, either way.

17. macrumors 6502

Yeah, that is what I meant I suppose. The different version could have a different license, correct?

18. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is, there is only one Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition. It is the same, and has the same license agreement, no matter where you buy it. You don't get a different version or a different license agreement, because there IS no other version for students.

19. macrumors 6502

So then, my version is good for 3 installs as well, they were just incorrect.

20. macrumors P6

dukebound85

it seems his is a different version and hence has a different license agreement.

21. macrumors 6502

This is what I think. It does not even come in Microsoft's package of the product. Comes in disk sleeve inside of a bubble mailer.