Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Ever since the site redesign and the addition of the similar threads links at the bottom there have been many old threads being revived often for no apparent reason. For example today I saw this thread from 2003 pop up with new posts. And as in that thread the reviving posts are usually not related to the subject of the thread or if they are related it is usually because someone feels the need to correct information that may have been correct at the time but due to changes in hardware or the OS is no longer correct.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to automatically lock old threads after they haven't had any activity for a certain amount of time, I'm thinking about a year. If they are locked people can still see the information if it is relevant to them but it would keep old threads from popping back up with irrelevant content.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The similar threads feature, which sucks balls (at least limit threads there to no more than 2 years old), was also in the VB version of the site although it didn't seem to be used as much as now.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The similar threads feature, which sucks balls (at least limit threads there to no more than 2 years old), was also in the VB version of the site although it didn't seem to be used as much as now.
I never remember seeing it there in the old one. So maybe it was there and just not as prominent. I know since I started noticing it I haven't ever seen a useful thread in there. The only time it's been remotely interesting is in the PRSI when sometimes it's interesting to see how perspectives on an issue have changed over the years.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
I agree with this, needs to have some auto lock of maybe 2 years and older, or even sooner. We don't need zombie threads.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So I decided to post in this thread again so hopefully someone who can do something will see it, but I am curious why the old threads that are no longer relevant are left open when they are resurrected, but for example this thread about adblockers that might actually be somewhat relevant again with the adblocking in iOS 9 was locked by @arn when it was brought back to life?

It seems like if we are going to let all the old threads come back to life whenever people feel like it it would be good to at least let the ones like that which might have some relevance run their course again.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
As someone who has been duped by the Similar Threads at the bottom, I say, yes, there needs to be some kind of lock, or some kind of adjustment to that feature to have it stop recommending super old threads.

Also, I need to pay better attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.