Can OmniWeb cache Workspaces?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dolphin842, Feb 3, 2005.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Hey folks,

I'm considering purchasing OmniWeb to use for research. I compile information from many different news sites, and so in a typical day of research I can have over 50 tabs open. Since I can't read and compile all of that in a day, so I need to have a reliable mechanism of storing/caching the news articles in the browser for later analysis.

It seems that OmniWeb is capable of handling such tab loads, but I have a question about its caching ability.

In the demo videos on the site, OmniWeb is shown to save a Workspace, quit the browser, then relaunch with the workspace and pages immediately loaded. From this I got the impression that the pages were saved/cached on disk.

However, when I try it, loading some pages, snapshot a Workspace, then quit and relaunch, all the pages have to be re-fetched.... so they're not being saved. If I quit, disconnect from the net, then relaunch, none of the pages load. (I need the ability to view the pages offline, in the browser w/ the URLs intact)

So I am asking, is there way to get OmniWeb to cache the pages in a Workspace? I don't need images, just the text. (Opera does this, but the feature is unpredictable, thus I'm looking for alternatives)

Thanks for any help! :)

2. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

My understanding is that OmniWeb should work as you wish. Also, I read the help files after reading your message and it seems as if taking a snapshot of the workspace (or even without a workspace being defined) would save that page. I don't know why it is not working as you wish, but I do know that the company is very responsive to questions. Go ahead and give them an email about this problem and they should help you with it. (At least as a registered user for several machines I've found them very responsive.) Good luck, and please post the answer to the problem. I haven't used that specific feature but will try it out.

3. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

dolphin842, I just tried creating a workspace for MR and taking a snapshot of it--it worked fine. When you create a new workspace there is a box to check for "auto save while browsing." Make sure that option is clicked.

Good luck! OmniWeb is a great browser and i hope you get it to perform properly.

4. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Hmmm.... so you are able to save a workspace... and have the pages come up ok after you've disconnected from the internet?

5. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

yes, it worked and got me right back here

I'd send them feedback asking about the feature. It's possible, but I doubt, that the feature is disabled until the software is registered.

6. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Alrighty, thanks for confirming that :). I'll ask them about it, and share what I find out.