Can one go from 10.2.8 to 10.4 in one install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chainlightning, Aug 1, 2006.

1. chainlightning macrumors newbie

Can one go from Jaguar to Tiger, bypassing Panther, in one jump?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes.

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yes, you can, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

I would back your stuff up and do a clean install.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Why not? When Tiger launched, several people here did a Jaguar to Tiger upgrade and I don't recall any particular threads of woe...

But having a good backup that you can restore to is a very wise idea - just in case! I suspect I'd go for the Archive and Install initially since it's quickest - and if there were problems, try the Clean Install with the Migration Assistant from your external backup.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm 100% with Applespider--it should work absolutely fine, but a good backup before ANY significant upgrade is wise, and an archive and install is a much better idea given the situation than a straight upgrade.

6. chainlightning thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks, Applespider, Makosuke, et.al. I'll give the Archive and Install route a whirl--and file an incident report here shortly.

7. chainlightning thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, hold on: I'm considering doing that to a 12-inch iBook 900MHz PowerPC G3, Combo drive, with the topped-out 640MB of RAM it will hold. (M9018LL/A) Would Tiger be too much for it? Should I just hold at Panther?

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Nah, Tiger should run fine. Panther will probably have a little more headroom (particularly on the 640MB RAM), but those specs are plenty to keep Tiger happy as well if you want any of the features it offers over Panther--I've run it on a lot less.

If you have absolutely no use for the additional features, though, then you might as well save your money and go with Panther.

9. chainlightning thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Many thanks.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Absolutely not...I run Tiger on a 500 MHz iBook with 384 MB RAM. I don't demand a lot out of the machine and the OS is stripped down fairly well, but it runs faster than Panther ever did on it.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I plan on installing it on a 400 mhz G4 powerbook with 768 mb of ram when it arrives, and from what I have heard it will run fine for what it will be used for.