Can one remove Quicktime from OS X and use just VLC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jer2eydevil88, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

Before I spark some negative energy lets just say this is more of me being curious than actually wanting to remove Quicktime. Still, I feel its still a valid question on if the end users actually has any choice when using OS X. Microsoft is being grilled by the Europeon Union over its bundling Windows Media Player and yet it appears Apple doesn't give us any choice.

My reasoning for this choice is my PC which has its own problems playing back Quicktime videos in Quicktime, thankfully everything works great in VLC which actually uses less cpu processing than Quicktime on 720p videos. I assume VLC could replace Quicktime entirely in OS X and give many consumers a way to play files back full screen without shelling out that rediculous $29.95 Apple wants us to pay. Yes a consumer can simply select to play that file type in VLC but that doesn't help for web streaming through browsers.

I am sure you could pirate a serial or even pull one off a Mac that has a full license but if we want to be legal eagles replacing Quicktime with VLC would be a better solution.

2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Yes, you can.

Instructions:
    1) Drag Quicktime to trash or an external drive of some sort.

If you want it again, you can reinstall it either from Apple.com or from the external drive.

When Quicktime is gone and you use VLC, VLC will become the default.

Apple isn't evil with their bundled software like Microsoft is. They are evil in other ways, just not this.

3. vniow macrumors G4

Quicktime is essentially integrated into the OS, you can't really remove it. Just set VLC as the default for media files and you should be fine.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Listen to vniow... if you want itunes to stop working and anything else that uses quicktime go ahead. what you want to do is assign vlc to open certain files by default. if you right click or cmd click the type of file you want vlc to open then 'get info'. after that select vlc to open the file then click 'change all'.

5. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

You're probably right, but when I tried to delete Quicktime right now, I deleted it and yet everything else worked fine.

Which is weird, because even the Quicktime logo popped up when I opened Safari on the apple.com mainpage, displaying a Get a Mac ad.

Yeah, I'd say keep it. Er, I changed my mind. :eek:

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

quicktime libraries might still be installed, and the safari plugin might be a different. itunes work?

7. jer2eydevil88 thread starter macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

So to really rid it from my Mac i'd need to route out all the libraries for it in
    /library
    /usr/lib
    /users/shared/library

? anywhere else ?

I may just do this for fun to see what happens exactly and if OS X is still usable/bootable.

I have to restore OS X on my Powerbook to sell it so this could be a fun way to pass the time of the ebay auction.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Spotlight search for Quicktime might turn up the odd preference file, but those locations are where I would look.