Can OS10.3 be installed in a 'beige' PowerMac G3?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    North and east of Mickeyland
    Just curious. I would like to upgrade the OS on my niece's old G3 (233 MHz) from the OS 8.6 she's still running. I have it installed on my old 400 MHz G3 Powerbook and I don't think those systems are that different. I'm not too worried about performance since they are not doing enything too demanding. At some point I will help them upgrade to a newer system but that's not an option right now.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The 10.3 installer disc will probably only support machines with built-in USB, you may need one of the installation hacks to get it on the non-USB machine.
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    I think that these machines were supported officially in earlier versions of OSX, but not 10.3. With a little help from XPostFacto you could probably get it to work. You probably want to stuff as much RAM in there as it'll take though.
  4. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    North and east of Mickeyland
    Thanks for the info. I don't want to mess with any other hacks. I just wish it was easier to find information about supported systems in the older versions of the OS. It doesn't have to be Panther, but I think pretty much anything 'X' is an improvement over what is there now.

I did find a PDF file from Apple (ReadBeforeYouInstall10.2.pdf) which does not list a 'built-in USB' requirement (unlike Panther). There is also a paragraph inside that says:
    I might just give that (10.2) a try since I have all of them (10.1-10.3).
  5. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    The beige runs 10.2 fine, but not 10.3.

It is possible to install 10.3 on it with xpostfacto, but the videocard in the beige does only supports 256 colors in 10.3....
    So if you are going to install 10.3 on your beige, get a new videocard

Stick 10.2 on your beige and load up with RAM..