Can OSX Read Text Aloud?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WabeWalker, Oct 22, 2006.

1. WabeWalker macrumors member

May 20, 2006
    I use PAGES for my word processing. What I would like is for my MacBook to read my work aloud so that I can better proofread it.

Is this possible?
  2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Should be possible.

Highlight words, go to the menu, Pages > Services > Speech > Start Speaking Text.
  3. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    It is possible for all of Mac OS X (in any native application)...
    System Preferences-> Speech-> Spoken User Interface​
    Under "Other spoken items" check "Selected text when the key is pressed..." and then select a key combination (I use cmd+j).

This means that you can have text anywhere in Mac OS X spoken... I listen to news articles online, long posts by people, etc. I also use it to proof read post and e-mail (pretty much anything I write) before sending them off to be read by others.

Infact it was this feature of Mac OS X (more than just about any other) that moved me away from Mac OS 8/9 (where I used to write everything in Simple Text in order to have my writing proof read).

So after five years or so, I can't imagine writing on any other system other than Mac OS X now.

My system's default voice is Fred, and I noticed that in 10.3 and later the voice needs to be sped up just a little (not sure why that changed... but it was a change in the speech engine and not the Fred voice file.
  4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    Every Macintosh ever made since 1984 could do this. :eek: