Can Panther handle 400 GB hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by snooziums, Jul 4, 2004.

1. snooziums macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2004
    Evergreen State
    I was considering upgrading my G4 with an SATA card and purchasing two 400 GB hard drives for it (they just cane out).

Can Jaguar version 10.2.8 handle hard drives this large? Would like to know before I spend lots of money upgrading.

Thank you.
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...10.2.8 is Jaguar, not Panther - only the 10.3.x are Panther....oh yeah!
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    well for external drives i kno it can support the Bigger Disk by Lacie which is 1 i would guess that it will support the drives you want, but they are internal so i would look around apple's support pages to be sure
  4. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I think that it depends on your internal bus rather than the software side. What computer do you have?
  5. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Since you will be adding a card to control them, yes, they will work. Serial ATA (SATA) cards are seen by the BIOS as SCSI cards (just like Parallel ATA (IDE/EIDE) (both simple and RAID) cards) and all disk management is handed off to the cards.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Considering that Mac OS 8.x could format a 10 Terabyte drive, you should be fine. Make certain that the card has compatible drivers, of course.