Can Panther...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by iEric, Nov 11, 2003.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

Can my Dual 1. Ghz G4 MDD with the superdrive burn on DVD+R media if I can Panther...?

2. will macrumors regular

I believe so, provided it has an appropriate drive (think it has to be a Sony model, perhaps someone else can confirm?). You can check on your drive type in the System Profiler (About This Mac->More Info->Devices and Volumes).

3. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Panther supports DVD+RW, but I've yet to hear from anyone with a SuperDrive, if those now support +R burning. It's quite possibly that this is only supported with third party drives, and not Apple branded SuperDrives, but I'd love to know the definitive answer on this.

4. notkevin macrumors member

Rumor has it that Panther can burn DVD+R discs, but I think you need a DVD+R drive, the Superdrive will only burn DVD-R discs.

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

There are certain Sony drives that are Apple branded SuperDrives which are, by themselves, capable of burning +RW.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Under system profiler, my PowerBook registers as a DVD-RW instead of just -R, but I don't know if it can do -RW or if it can do +R/RW. I have yet to burn a DVD since they are kind of pricey.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

So how do I tell what brand it is? It says Mat****a, but I thought superdrives were only Sony or Pioneer.