Can parallels use Boot Camps windows install to run??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by beatalliance, Aug 25, 2006.

1. beatalliance macrumors newbie

Basically .... I need to know if you can install windows useing boot camp ... then install the parallels program .. and use the windows installed "Meant" for boot camp..... to successfully run parallels ???

So you dont end up having 2 seperate installs of windows on your mac .. 1 copy for boot camp and another for parallels !!!

Is this possible ??? Maybe to just direct parallels to the copy of windows allready on your mac and get it to boot that instead of installing another copy ???

TA!

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Theres a way to turn your existing boot camp windows into a parallels VM, but I don't think it's possible to do what you want to do.

3. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

No, not at this time. Parallels has stated they're planning this feature for the next release in late 2006-2007.

Contrary to what the above poster said, I also don't think it's possible to turn your bootcamp install into a parallels disk. Parallels use proprietary virtual hard disk format so Mac OS X can't open/explore the contents.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

*cough* At least one person has done it. ;)

5. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Yeah thats what i was referring too, I just couldnt remember where the article was from (of course it's arstechnica, duh!). It looks like a pain though.

6. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Wow, I never saw that article! Interesting read, thanks for the link and I take back my statement.

7. beatalliance thread starter macrumors newbie

Never an easy task when windows and osx are involved :|