Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I'll try to make this short:

My friends (who all drive the same car) have found very cheap HID kits on eBay ($125 shipped). I messaged the seller to ask if we get a discount for buying 6. He says:
Ok, we make make deal if you buy 6 kits, $112 per kit including shipping to USA.
but we need you pay directly to us by paypal/credit card.
Please make your payment at http://www.vvme.com/payment.jsp by paypal or credit card. Leave your message in payment notes for us

So here's my question:
If I pay him via his provided website and I don't receive the kits, am I still protected by Paypal? Can I still file a dispute in case this happens?
Reason is this seller has about 188 negatives from buyers never receiving the kits but has over 4500 positives.

TiA!

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Wow that not to far from where I live. I see that they post a phone number on that web site. I would call them and ask for a ref or get a hold of the BBB in Delaware and see what there record is

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just sayin', but... a person who is in business selling cheap HIDs.... that's just asking for trouble, isn't it? Considering how popular they are to steal / likely that they're hot or otherwise illegitimate?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Just sayin', but... a person who is in business selling cheap HIDs.... that's just asking for trouble, isn't it? Considering how popular they are to steal / likely that they're hot or otherwise illegitimate?

haha how come if someone can get a product super cheap at like wholesale pricing they are now a thief? I sell oakley sunglasses and people message me all the time and ask me if they are stolen bc i shouldn't be selling them this cheap. That's ridiculous. He is obviously a wholesaler that has a supplier to get them ultra cheap.

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
Paypal Sucks!!! Avoid At All Costs

I wouldn't have any faith in the PayPal dispute process if anything goes wrong. I had a computer stolen which compromised my primary email account that I used with Paypal. In a period of a couple hours the theives changed my PayPal passwords and went on to steal nearly $1,000 dollars from my account. I had a PayPal account for 7 years prior to this happening and never had that much activity occur on my account in a period of a year, much less a couple hours, but PayPal didn't deem this activity suspicious and refused to refund any money to me. They say since somebody changed my password there is nothing they can do about it.

If PayPal actually cared about anything other than making money they would have actually looked into this matter and clearly saw that I was not the one who made these transactions and refunded my money but they wouldn't do this because they simply don't care about their customers. If you try to call their customer service, be prepared to spend up to an hour of your time on hold just waiting to talk to somebody. During your time on hold you'll have to listen to all kinds of talk about PayPal security, but it's really all a bunch of BS they make you listen to over and over again.

When I finally got through to PayPal reps on the phone, I was promised phone calls in return, only to receive stock email replies back from them with no return email addresses to reply to anybody. In one email I received from them, it stated I could mail a letter to some department of theirs to receive additional information regarding my case which I did, only to never receive any of the promised information in return. I was also on one occasion by a Manager given an email for some "Executive Group" at PayPal which I spent time writing a detailed letter to, only to once again be completely ignored by their company.

I was nothing be courteous to everyone I talked to there, and I wasn't calling them daily to complain about this (which isn't possibly anyhow unless you have hours a day to waste on hold). I only called a few times and gave them months because I was under the impression that were actually doing something to look into this matter, but I was wrong and they actually weren't doing anything because they don't care. PayPal sucks and should be avoided unless you want to risk losing money. I used them for many years and never had a problem with them (other than their crazy fees) but if something goes wrong with a transaction or your account you are going to be in for a lot of grief trying to get anything accomplished when dealing with that company.

I'll try to make this short:

So here's my question:
If I pay him via his provided website and I don't receive the kits, am I still protected by Paypal? Can I still file a dispute in case this happens?
Reason is this seller has about 188 negatives from buyers never receiving the kits but has over 4500 positives.

TiA!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
They want you to PayPal them direct, because they avoid the eBay fees (final value fee). By PayPaling them without eBay they only incur PayPal fees.

Yes, you're buying from a business so PayPal should still cover you.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
to the person who got his money and acct stolen. Why didn't you try talking with your bank. Usually when something like this happen i skip paypal's dispute process it takes too long my bank alway takes care of me when it comes to my money.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I guess my first post confused some but I was merely asking and never followed through/bought the kits so I never lost any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.