Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Yes, that should work fine.

Just know that upgrading the hard drive of a powerbook isn't exactly easy.

Yeah i'm fairly worried, but I know it will be fun!

Oh, what tools do I need exactly?

Rich.

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
yeah its not fun taking a pb apart, you can do it but you need a few little screw drivers. theres a fix-it guide on the internet that will show you how to do it

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
If it's a TiBook, then you'll be wanting a torx T8 driver. If it's an Alibook you'll need a good quality philips 00 driver and a torx T6 (IIRC).

Don't buy crap as you'll chew up the screw-heads. Torx drivers, being a bit special, are generally good quality but cross points are another matter. I bought a "CK" branded set of watchmakers screwdrivers in a proper case from a reputable toolshop and they've lasted many years.

Look after your tools and they'll look after you!

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
If it's a TiBook, then you'll be wanting a torx T8 driver. If it's an Alibook you'll need a good quality philips 00 driver and a torx T6 (IIRC).

Don't buy crap as you'll chew up the screw-heads. Torx drivers, being a bit special, are generally good quality but cross points are another matter. I bought a "CK" branded set of watchmakers screwdrivers in a proper case from a reputable toolshop and they've lasted many years.

Look after your tools and they'll look after you!

Ahh, great tip there!

Could you point me in the direction of a set of good Torx drivers?

A high street store ? B&Q?

Rich.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Ahh, great tip there!

Could you point me in the direction of a set of good Torx drivers?

A high street store ? B&Q?

Rich.

I'd tend to avoid the likes of B&Q. There are a couple of shops I'd use in Brighton. They only sell tools and they've been in business for years. The owners really know what they're selling. You must have a shop like that near you.

Otherwise something like these:

Jewellers screwdrivers and Torx drivers

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I'd tend to avoid the likes of B&Q. There are a couple of shops I'd use in Brighton. They only sell tools and they've been in business for years. The owners really know what they're selling. You must have a shop like that near you.

Otherwise something like these:

Jewellers screwdrivers and Torx drivers

That's really good of you! They're not too pricey either.

I think i'll go for what you linked!

Thanks all!

Rich.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.