Can Powerbook run when closed?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by projectle, Dec 14, 2005.

1. projectle macrumors 6502

I am a television news story producer.
    I tend to be editing video projects on my Powerbook, however I have run into a little bit of a snag and that is that I can not always leave my Powerbook "open" while it is rendering as I need to run to a series of meetings throughout the day.

Is it possible to set some option somewhere that will prevent my Powerbook from going to sleep?

It would sure make my life a whole lot easier, rather than needing to pause a render, close my PB, walk down the hall for a meeting, pop it back open, restart the render, open Pages and start taking notes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The PowerBook can be made to run whilst closed, mainly in cases of running it with external kb,mouse and display. However you shouldn't need to pause a render when you close the lid, it should just stop and kick off again when you open the lid.

3. Jestered macrumors 6502

I don't think there is a setting to have the PB continue to function with the lid closed unless you have an external display connected.

I sure there is a way to do it by disabling the sleep function all together by using the terminal, but I would not attempt that on my machine.

4. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...

Then, is there a program somewhere that while running would prevent the computer from going to sleep (rather than a standard configuration page)?

5. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping that having a render going would be sufficient to tell the system that the computer is in use and do not sleep.

Is there something else that will?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um....

You are asking for a lot of trouble in doing this, though. Laptops should NOT be transported while they are working, as a ton of damage could be done if they are dropped or bumped in this state.

I understand why you want to do this...but think about it first.