can quicktime 6 play svcd's?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by taeclee99, Jul 22, 2002.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I am wondering if qt6 can play svcd's if I buy the addtional mpg 2 component for qt? Watching Spiderman and SW AOTC would be nice on a brand new Tibook.:)
    If I can't view them on the Mac...then I might have to switch the the dark side and get a wintel book. Hopefully I don't have venture down that dark path.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Why don't you just put the dvd in and play it normally??? :rolleyes:

BTW, dvd's are now an universal format. Any Apple computer with a DVD drive (dvd-rom, combo or super drive) can play dvd movies right out of the box WITHOUT any additional software purchases.

3. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I know that macs can play dvd's.
    I need macs to be able to play svcd's cuz I got lot of movies in this format. Many of the movies I have on svcd format are not even on dvd quite yet.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Then try it out... or call Apple and see if the additional software will do it or not.

BTW, unless you are in the movie industry, this reeks of pirated movies, at least to me it does.

5. jgivens12 macrumors newbie

I believe it is pretty clear that it is pirated movies as that is the only reason you would use a video cd. (Quality not very good as compared to dvd) And I think almost any dvd player will play one (except the crappy one on for my tv because it won't play cdr)

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Considering Apple's current stand on piracy, I wouldn't expect any of their software to play that format. You might get lucky and it might play, but don't hold your breath, or bank on it.

7. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Pirated movies are not the only reason for svcd's. I capture video from cable tv into my computer and make svcd's out of them. I believe I am entitled to play them back on my pc no? Also one can make svcd's out of dvd's fthat he already owns for backup purposes.

8. jgivens12 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I was only considering my experience with svcd :)

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well piracy issues aside, I believe you should be able to view svcds using any dvd player that allows you to select the files to play. If the player autoloads dvds and doesn't let you choose the mpeg2 files, you're outta luck

10. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I have a bunch of VCD's as well(heh heh back to the future even) I have family over seas and as we all know VCD's are bigger in some other countrys....they've brought some over and left them and all. But i usually just pop them in to the generic Cheap DVD player and don't really have a problem.

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The thing is, VCDs and SVCDs are completely different formats. Whereas VCDs use MPEG1 compression, SVCDs use MPEG2 compression and they are a bit more rare (they were more popular in Europe, I believe). Because of this, VCDs play on practically anything, but SVCDs won't play on anything that doesn't decode MPEG2s (VCD players, computers without an MPEG2 decoder).