Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Got the Targus skin yesterday after originally thinking about the Belkin one which I have fitted to my touch.

The Belkin version is still not yet available in the UK so thought I would give the Targus one a go after reading good reviews and Amazon had one in stock for only £12.99 delivered.

Excellent fitting skin and a very nice feel. It even works of sorts with my smart cover which I was not expecting. The magnetic catches work but with much reduced effectiveness through the skin.

With the increased thickness it even fits very snugly into my old Apple case from the iPad 1 when I take it out and about to the pub for example!

ows

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Got the Targus skin yesterday after originally thinking about the Belkin one which I have fitted to my touch.

The Belkin version is still not yet available in the UK so thought I would give the Targus one a go after reading good reviews and Amazon had one in stock for only £12.99 delivered.

Excellent fitting skin and a very nice feel. It even works of sorts with my smart cover which I was not expecting. The magnetic catches work but with much reduced effectiveness through the skin.

With the increased thickness it even fits very snugly into my old Apple case from the iPad 1 when I take it out and about to the pub for example!

Is this the one that's now down to £10.60 ? Just asking as I've researched this one. How light is it , Targus quotes 200g - which sounds a lot. Does it make a huge difference to the weitght, and does it add grip to the iPad, easier to hold ? Thanks.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
That's the one. Wish you hadn't told me it's cheaper now! I thought it was good value for £12.99.

Just weighed it, 101 grams. Doesn't really add any weight to the iPad that I could notice.

However, it is quite smooth. It gives a better grip than the naked iPad back but not as good as the Apple case for the first iPad which was made of some strange rubberised material.

I may get something else later but for now at that price it protects the back. I never have anything to cover the screen I just try and look after it.

My 1st gen iPad was in the Apple case since day 1 and is as new. I'm loathe to sell it but my wife tells me it's go to go on ebay sometime!!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Excellent review and photos, thanks.

Did you go for an alternative skin or a case?

I returned the Targus because I was nearing the end of my return period, and knew it was not what I wanted long term.

Right now I have the BSE skin on and a Incase Magazine Jacket, but have every intention of returning it. I am leaning towards skin/shells that accomondate the smart cover. I currently have a clear TPU smart cover companion case from eBay on order (in route). I have also pre-ordered the Joy Factory SmartFit 2, The Marware Microshell, and will be pre-ordering the Eniki Gear Genius case.

I also want to try out the Marware Microshell Folio, and Speck PixelSkin Wrap HD (come on local target!).

I'm pretty sure I'll end up using one of the skin/shell solutions to work with a smart cover. With the first iPad I found that I just preferred a little back protection a TPU case provided plus the added grip and rate found the need to use a stand whether it was part of a case or portable. The smart cover, even if overpriced, is a nice addition if the compatible skin/shell work for me like the Grip Vue did last year.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Please let us know which one comes out tops.

You seem to have a very different way your return period works in the US to that in the UK. We can return an item if it is unopened and we have just changed our mind. Or if we have used it and it is faulty. We cannot try something out, decide we don't like it and then return it at no cost or just a small restocking fee which is what you appear to be able to do.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Please let us know which one comes out tops.

You seem to have a very different way your return period works in the US to that in the UK. We can return an item if it is unopened and we have just changed our mind. Or if we have used it and it is faulty. We cannot try something out, decide we don't like it and then return it at no cost or just a small restocking fee which is what you appear to be able to do.

In the US, in depends on the stores return policy. I got my case from Amazon, which has a pretty good return policy. There are places that will charge restocking fees, but I usually take that into consideration before I order something especially if its on an item i'm not sure about or have not seen in person.

ows

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for the info! Will pop into a store tomorrow to see what's there, otherwise get this one.

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I have the Targus TPU as well and really like it but have switched to the Speck HD case with the front cover. Adds weight but I do like the case. If you don't want or need front protection the Targus is very nice. Since I have a Targus sleeve as well I will probably alternate depending on need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.