Can Safari Do This?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Jul 21, 2006.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I've recently downloaded Opera and I realized that whenever i click a link in a webpage, it opens up in a new tab instead of a new window. I know it's possible in Safari but you'll need to hold the Cmd key. Is there anyway to make it default? I mean without holding the Cmd key.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm pretty sure you cannot do this in Safari. I like the feature you are talking about, and FireFox does that too. I never really tried Opera. Do you prefer it to the Mozilla browsers? Maybe I'll give it a go.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Whenever I click a link saved on my computer, It opens a new tab. (In safari)

5. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Yes, this is sort-of possible unless the URL you are selecting explicitly requests the link to be opened in a new window. In order to have "nice" links open a new tab rather than open a new window, select Preferences > Open links from applications in a new tab of the current window. SafariStand also provides the option to force links to open in a new tab rather than in a new window but I've found that this doesn't work 100% of the time, much to my annoyance.

My answer assumes that you meant to ensure that new links opened by other applications and web pages are opened in a new tab rather than a new window. You did, however, phrase your question such that it sounds like you want each link that you select to open in a new tab rather than in the current tab (which is normal). If you do wish to force each link to open in a new tab rather than in the current one then I don't believe that this is possible in Safari, not least since it would likely lead to tab-overkill pretty quickly. If you want to be able go back quickly to a previous web page then you might want to try the SnapBack (in the History Menu) function.

6. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm testing Firefox now. I tried Shiira and I love it but this particular feature is not there. For some reason, in Firefox, the page load times seems to be much longer compared to Safari or Shiira.

7. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hang out for Shiira 2 - it's looking pretty amazing...

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Shiira can do this:

Picture 1.png

9. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Ah...didn't notice that. I tried it but never went into the preferences. thanks a lot. :D

10. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

thats the default setting for camino. links open in a new window.. unless you apple+click then it will open in a new tab.

11. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Could somebody tell me how I open a link in a new tab. In IE7, you simply hold Ctrl + click, is this the same but using the Cmd button?

Cheers

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes.

To open a new (blank) tab, press Cmd+T, or to open a link in a new tab you click the link while holding down the Command (Apple) key.

Make sure you have "Enable Tabbed Browsing" checked in Safari > Preferences > Tabs.

13. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Nice one Cheers

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

with Camino Tools you get an even better result.
    i have it set to one window browsing. links open in the current tab.
    why is this good for me? well with my mouse i have a button that is used for 'back' in browsers.
    i simply click the link and if i want to go back to the page i want to its a simple click on the mouse, no movement required. i prefer it this way.