Can some PLEASE help me fix QuickTime 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ebally, May 8, 2005.

1. ebally macrumors regular

I am having really annoying problems with QuickTime 7. When I try and watch cetain movies that are embeded on sites, I get a faded QuickTime logo with a Question Mark on top.

e.g. http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/rollerskating/480.html

But other pages work just fine:

e.g. http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harry_potter/thegobletoffire/

Having read a suggestion on Apple's discussions page, I deleted a file called "QuickTime Plugin.webplugin" in the Internet-plugins folder, which kind of fixed the problem... but then created a new one. Now I don't get the Question Mark, I just get the QuickTime Logo until the movie has been fully downloaded, then I can watch it. It is no longer possible to watch a movie while it is being downloaded.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

I am using Mac OS X 10.4 (clean install).
    I have tried repairing permissions, and checking the disc, etc.
    I have tried installing the Operating System again.
    I have tried trashing the preferences for Safari and QuickTime.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not near a Mac at the moment, but have a look in the Quicktime preferences in the System Preferences to tick a box that says something about playing as you download. I'm pretty sure it's a setting rather than a fault, which is a good thing. :)

3. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply, but after checking the preferences you suggested, I see that "Play movies automatically" is already ticked, so that is not the problem.

Any more suggestions?

Also, I am having problems playing certain mpg and avi files. Either I get no sound, or I get an error message (-2048). The videos in question work perfectly with QuickTime 6.5. I have exactly the same codecs installed, as I did in Panther, so I don't see what the problem is?

4. Gee macrumors 65816

I have the same faded question mark problem...anyone have an answer?

5. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah...! I am soo happy that I am not the only one with this problem! (No offence Gee, but misery loves comay!) :)

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

No, but I do now. (I bought it thinking that it might fix my problem... but it never).

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What browser are you trying to use to view the page?

9. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Safari (v 2.0)

I have no other browsers installed on my computer, but I have heard that the problem doesn't effect all browsers... As my friend says the bug doesn't show itself in FireFox.

10. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Also I have discovered another problem with QuickTime 7. Certain avi files that work perfectly with QuickTime 6.5, cause QuickTime 7 to crash. When the particular avi files are double clicked, they will load in QuickTime (although a little slower than usual), but apart from no sound being present, the video plays quite jerkily, and then after a few seconds I get the spinning beach ball of death. I have to then force quit QuickTime.

Again, I have installed exacly the same codecs for Tiger that I had when I was using Panther.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Perhaps those codecs need to be updated for QT7, and that's why they're crashing?

12. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, sounds simple enough... any thoughts on the other (question mark) bug that affects QuickTime 7 and Safari? It just seems odd that Apple's own media player and web browser conflict with each other.

Looking around the net a bit more, it seems that the bug lies more with QuickTime 7, than it does with Safari 2. As people using 10.3.9 and QuickTime 7 (with Safari 1.3) seem to be affected by the same bug as well.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've seen a couple posts with similar problems, but I'm not sure what to tell you. I haven't had a problem with graphics not loading with QT7 yet.

14. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

This problem with QuickTime 7 really bugs me, as it is one of my most used applications on the Mac. I thought that when you do a clean install, bugs like these are rare, but after 2 clean installs of Tiger I have yet to see any change. Maybe 10.4.1 will improve things a little?

I really do appreciate you trying to help... that's one thing I really enjoy about the Mac community since I became a 'switcher' back in 2002.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do you have some more examples of web pages that don't work properly?

16. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but I affraid that you have to be a member to view them. They are on IGN and StarWars member sections.

IGN is particularly interesting as some videos work, and some don't. (All .mov files though).

17. Mu5icglobber macrumors newbie

Network Preferences

My issue was the same, but turns out its nothing to do with quicktime, well could be in some weird and wonderful way, but didnt seem to be directly... anyway

It seems to be a network problem rather than a system file or similar problem. I saw the same sort of thing happen when trying to update my iPod Touch.

To fix it, you need to go

System Preferences > Network > Location (Drop Down) > Edit Locations > Click the little + sign > Name the location > Set any critical network preferences (such as static IP address or Proxy if needed) > Wait to obtain network connectivity and then try streaming the quicktime video again... may need to completely close (Apple + Q) the browser, not sure if i did or not, and reload it.

See if that works

Mu5icglobber

Edit: Seems to be a very dated issue lol, but still happening