Can somebody McExplain this, please?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This has been bugging me for a while now.

How come when I go through the drive-through at McDonald's and order a value meal, sometimes I get charged $4.95, and sometimes I get charged $5.03, for the exact same meal?

My daughter used to work there, so I asked her, because I thought perhaps the $5.03 figure included tax. Well, she got me even more confused. Not only didn't she have a good answer for the discrepancy between the charges, but she says that if you go into the restaurant and order your food to go, you don't get charged tax, but if you go through the drive-through, you do get charged tax.

Does that make sense to anybody???

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Restaurants (and we'll assume for the sake of argument that McD's actually qualifies as one) are only supposed to charge you tax for food not consumed on premises. If you order to eat-in, you do not pay tax. If you order to go, either at the counter or the drive-thru, you should be charged sales tax.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't think that's true...I'm pretty sure I get charged tax on BK whether dine-in or take-out. It probably depends on the state, but I don't think Illinois follows the regulations that you describe.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

True, each state probably has it's own rules for taxation.

5. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I think it depends on which state your talking about. In MA you are charged tax for any food received in or at a resturant. It is considered a "luxury" and therefore are charged, whether you eat in the resturant or if its to go.

You may want to find out what the sales/luxury tax rules are for your state as that may explain what the price difference is.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

In MO tax is the same whether you eat in or out.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have had a similar thought but in concern to Subway. At two locations, and even the same location, the same sandwich, with the same topings, with the same displayed price, and exact same sales tax levels, will in the end vary in cost by as much as $1. Having worked at a fast food like resturaunt (a Fish Bar), I know that sometimes the server/cashier will be anal about things like extra sauces, or ketchups. Also, depending on the law, prebottled drinks are exempt from taxes a second time, whereas fountain drinks are taxed, but when the cost varries by sooo much, one has to wonder.

/ Man who gets 2 12" Subs, Lg. Drink and Chips for $4.95

TEG

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

As a former McDonald's manager in Michigan, this is what I know: Taxes are supposed to be the same inside, or drive through.

As for the price difference, that might have to do with the way the register is set up.

Example: Say you go to the resteraunt and buy a number 4 value meal. A number 4 is a cheesbuger, medium fry, and a medium drink. The total is say, 4.13 with taxes. Now you go the the resteraunt and buy a cheesburger, medium fry, and a medium drink. Your total is 5.18. Why? Because you didn't order the value meal. When I was a manager (about 15 years ago) we had buttons labeled 1,2,3 etc. for value meals. What might be happening is sometime you get a worker who is savvy enough to realize what you want is a value meal, and simply converts it to such. Other times you don't get such a savvy worker.

What I don't have an answer for is say today you buy a soda and it's 1.68. Tomorrow, you buy the same soda and it's 1.69. The day after its 1.68 again. Why that happens, I don't know :confused:

9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

And then, of course, there's the ever-popular cliche: Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

Maybe the McClerk made a mistake at the register. Same goes for the Sub-clerk. Maybe there's someone on staff who doesn't know how to do it properly. Seems the simplest explanation to me.

That said: MD sales tax is 5% whether inside or drive-through, grocery or restaurant (though I'm not entirely sure on produce, I think it applies there too).

10. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

MA Sales Tax is 5% as well, but does not apply to groceries, but it does to resturants, where ever you eat it.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

man, y'all have low sales taxes. in tx it varies by city/county but in san antonio it's 7.875% IIRC, and a little higher in castle hills (where i actually live). o' course yall have state income tax :p

12. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

This is a little off topic, but it reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. Some friends and I went to some fast food place and my friend wanted one of the combos. But then he did the math and discovered that it was CHEAPER to get all the items separately. So he ordered all the items and naturally they asked if he wanted the combo, but he said no, he wanted them separate. He had to be very clear that he wanted them to ring up the items individually. Heh. :rolleyes:

I wonder how often that's actually the case? I'm like a price Nazi when I go to fast food. I always check the prices and if one franchise is charging a little more than others from the same chain, that location is banned for life. :p I'm sure most people never even notice...

13. dPratt macrumors member

Tennessee does the same stupid city/county thing, but here it's 9.25% up to 9.75% is some places (highest in the country b/c they refuse to pass a fair - ie non-regressive - state income tax, but I digress). Of course back in Canada it's around 15% (varies by province), so what am I complaining about ;)

14. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

bwahahaha, high?!?!?

I live in the Netherlands. Check this out: our luxury sales tax is .... wait for it... a whopping 19%!!!! :eek:

Now that's outrageous. So none of you living over in the States should be complaining! :rolleyes:

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

:eek: but isnt pot legal over there? cause id gladly sacrifice lower taxes for that :p

16. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

WTF is up with fast food joints accepting credit cards all of a sudden (at least at Wendy's and Burger King here in Miami, FL)? It's annoying to have to answer "cash" when they ask, "cash or credit?" A Whopper and fries is not a major purchase. :D

17. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have not yet made use of the ability to pay with credit card, but it's useful for people that make large orders to feed a volunteer moving crew or something like that. As a poor college student, I will sometimes find myself hungry but with an empty wallet or a lone crumpled bill. Being able to pay with my credit/check card thing would certainly come in handy then.

18. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Come move to Utah. You are taxed to make money (income), taxed to spend it (sales), taxed to invest it (property tax), taxed to save it. We pay more in taxes than anybody in this damn country....and we are still in debt. Gotta love government.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The thing that confuses me about my Mickey Ds, though, is that it's a different price for the same transaction. Which lends itself to the explanation rueyeet offered.

And yeah, states are all different. Here in Ohio, you get charged tax if you eat in, not the other way around.

20. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

at the mcdonalds that i go to, its cheaper to go into the resturant and order it to-go then for "here". the difference is like 10 cents so i just thought that they charged extra becuase when it's for eat-in they have to clean up your table, take out your trash

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

In Michigan, I pay property tax, sales tax, income tax (state and local). Some cities have a city tax, and some cities require you to register your vehicle with the city (another tax).

22. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

in the uk its cheeper to take away than to eat in...

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Generally true, but not for fast food. If I want a burger for £1, that's exactly what it costs me whether I eat in or take away. Also, I've always paid the price listed on the menu, and there's only one price.

But yeah, you'll get charged more if you eat at a restaurant, or have your coffee inside a Costas.

24. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Our tax is now at 10% in the Monroe Area.

It's effing ridiculous.

25. alexis357 macrumors newbie

25% TAX @ McDonalds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help Me Sue

I am getting charged 7% Tax @ McDonals + an 18% "Eat in Tax".... I don't believe this is Legal in Florida. I live on South Beach & all the resteraunts include an 18% gratuity, but they have to remove it at your request (by Law) and it goes to the employees (By Law)..Plus no one charges the 7% Tax when you eat in..... McDonald Trump over here claims it's just like the accepted "Gratuity", but they , Illegally refuse to remove it, an cannot explain the 7% or the 18% either... I've collected hundreds of receipts. Snuck in a video camera while I fought with the manager & Requested charge removed, and Photographed prices on board...
    Help ME SUE McDonaldTrump!!!!!!
    HannerJeremy@hotmail.com