Can somebody please help me??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TB3eb, Jan 20, 2005.

1. TB3eb macrumors newbie

Hi, i wonder if anybody can help me? For the past 3 days i have been trying to find a way of converting a .avi file to a normal mpeg file (mpeg1). I have a few music videos that are in .avi format and after downloading DIVX, i think? i was then able to watch the files via quicktime. The problem lies here, i recently discovered that if i burnt my .mpeg (music videos) to a data CD i can play them in my DVD player at home and boom, i get them full screen! The thing is most of my files are .avi and only a few are already in mpeg format. Basically i want to know how to convert the .avi files to mpeg.

I was about to give up when i found a link to here, i registered, crossed my fingers somebody could help and then wrote this excuse of a question above.

cheers....

ps - I know i replied in the AVI on Itune discussions but then i thought i would have more chance of my question getting a look in if i started a new thread. Sorry if this wrong way to go about things, i come in peace :)

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

There is probably free/cheap software that will do this, but I'm pretty sure Quicktime pro will also do the trick.

3. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

I did look at quicktime pro but i am sure the that it imports .avi .mpeg1 and 2 etc but it only exports in .avi, mpeg 2 and others but not just MPEG. i could be wrong, i should double check but 99% sure that is the case. I dont have an mpeg 2 file so i cant burn a disk to check if they will play. If they do then i dont need to convert them to mpeg. :confused:

anywhere i can download a free mpeg2 file?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

QT Pro absolutely does this - I just verified with my copy of it. Presumably, the "free" QT doesn't (not sure what all got enabled when I upgraded to Pro). Just use QuickTime->File->Export.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here are the export options I see when I open an AVI file.

Attached Files:

6. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant, thanks. What version of quicktime pro will i need to get then and any idea of how much it costs?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

US$29.99.

8. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anywhere i could download an mpeg4 or mpeg2 file from so that i can check my dvd player will play this format before i layout $30 on quicktime pro.

hope i am making sense...

I thought it would be easy to convert a quicktime .avi file to a quicktime .mpeg (mpeg1) but it is proving to be a bit of a mission.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I doubt that your DVD player will play mpeg4 files, but you should check anyways. There's a mpeg4 video of the someone opening a Mac mini. Go to the main page of Macrumors because I think the link is there.

EDIT - also note that your DVD player will definately play mpeg2 files since that's what DVD's are encoded in. The only thing is will the DVD player recognize a mpeg2 file just floating there or does it need to be "inside" a VOB folder or what not. Either way, you'll need the $20 MPEG-2 Component if you want to work with mpeg2 files on Quicktime. It's not part of QT Pro.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Another possibility. Could you use iDVD to create a .DMG, then burn that to a CD? Again, not something I've tried, but it might work.

11. Bear macrumors G3

There are lots of good and valid suggetsions in this thread, I hope one works for you.

I do have one other suggestion...

Use a more meaningful port title next time.

Maybe: Help needed: Converting .avi to mpeg-1
    Or maybe:How can I convert .avi to mpeg-1?

Don't worry, you're not the only one who does this, but I'm having a hard time finding threads with all the ambiguous titles. It might be good for all thread originators to go back and edit titles on their initial posts in the threads. This would help make it easier to find things in the forums.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Good point about more reasonable thread titles, but IIRC you can't change the title of the thread. You can change the title of the first post, but it won't affect the "official" thread title.

13. Bear macrumors G3

In that case, it's a request(plea?) for better thread titles from everybody in the future.

14. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, had a feeling i was gonna get a paste in for something, I understand!

i think i have found the best way to do this, quicktime pro will convert the files to mpeg4 files, i have just seen a cheap DVD player for £70 at Argos that plays mpeg4 files. Happy days, i hope!

15. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

If you don't want to spend 30$ (I don't :D ),ffmpegx is a free solution. It converts into a variety of formats and its fast too.

cheers

16. TB3eb thread starter macrumors newbie

i did try this, i downloaded and tried to convert but the first time i ended up with a file but no audio and the second time the audio was about 20 seconds behind the video? Probably me doing something wrong as i was not sure what i was doing to be honest, i left most of the settings as they were when it first opened. If anybody know's how to convert them properly i would give it another go.

17. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well I use pretty straightforward settings. I have attached the settings for video, audio and tools.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

works for me.

cheers