iPad Can someone comment on iPad 3 & 4 IRL performance difference?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vmachiel, Jan 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Hi Forum,

a friend of mine want to buy a non-mini iPad. Our local reseller has both the new one, and the 3rd gen in stock, with a 120 euro discount on the 3rd. Is the 4th gen worth an extra 120 euro in terms of performance? We've seen the benchmarks, but are their any people out there who have tried/owned them both and can comment on the difference with regards to everyday usage?

Thank you!

2. macrumors member

the ipad 4 is way too good and faster than the ipad 3. if u are willing to buy an ipad, then go for the 4th gen because Apple has imprved the procesor of the ipad 4 with few more hardware changes. therefore, ipad 4 would be the best option.

officially apple has kicked ipad 3 from the web of its own and replaced it with ipad 4.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah after searching some more on youtube, he's going with the 4.

4. macrumors member

thats good

5. macrumors 68040

I'd agree. Personally, I didn't find enough of a difference to justify an upgrade from 3 to 4, but if you are buying something new (not upgrading), the 4 is the obvious choice (in my opinion).

6. macrumors 6502

Thing is, you can buy a used iPad 3 for insanely cheap. If you are buying new, sure. iPad 3 is a better deal if you want to put in the effort. There's really no practical difference unless you are doing Flyover in Apple Maps, or want to consolidate on the Lightning connector.

7. bevsb2, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

macrumors 6502a

I have the iPad 4 and compared it to my 3rd generation while I still had it. I wasn't impressed with the difference in speed for web browsing. However if buying new and not upgrading from the iPad 3 I would pay the extra and get the 4 for the faster processor.

8. macrumors 68000

lulla01

I would wait for next fen at this point, if you can hold out.