Can someone explain hot corners to me?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bobscliff, Feb 25, 2006.

1. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

I know how to use expose and i love it, but i've never been able to figure out what "hot corners" are. Can someone explain to me like i'm a two year old?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hot corners mean that when you flick your mouse pointer to one corner of the screen (just move it in that direction really quickly), something happens. Specifically, you can set it up so that if you move your mouse to a corner, say, the upper right corner, you trigger the Exposé all windows view. Or the desktop view, or the all windows from this application view. When you click on a window, or else flick to that corner again, it goes back to the normal view. It's a really handy keyboard-free way to use Exposé. You can also trigger Dashboard this way.

On both of my Macs, I have it set up so the upper left corner gives me all windows, the lower left corner gives me the windows from the active application, the upper right corner gives me the desktop, and the lower right corner gives me Dashboard.

It took me a long while to get into this feature, but now I use it constantly. :)

Does that make sense?

3. bobscliff thread starter macrumors regular

bobscliff

Wow that's the explanation i needed. Had my PB for almost a year and never understood that feature. Time to make up for lost time. Thanks!

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Its based on the principle that the corners are the easiest points of the screen to hit, no matter where the pointer is at any moment. The edges are next which is why the menu bar makes more sense than having a menu bar for each app like in windows. Placing the dock on the edge works on the same principle, but I don't know of anywhere else they could have put it either.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, once you get used to it, it's amazing. I haven't quite gotten used to making effective use of the Application Windows view, but everything else, I love. I'm learning on that one.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I use that one. That's for like...when you have, say, 5 photoshop documents open and about 25 other things. If you hit Exposé All Windows in an effort to see your photoshop documents, they'll be so darn tiny you won't be able to tell them apart, or find them, because the other 25 things will be tiled among them. With Application Windows, it just tiles the active application's windows, which would only make those 5 photoshop documents tile above the other 25 or whatever windows. Then, you could concentrate on just choosing between those. :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I understand, yeah. I just go to the all windows view before I think about it, and then just suck it up and try to pick out the right one. :eek: