Can someone explain to me in easy steps all about airport and wireless connections

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jakochampolska, Oct 9, 2005.

1. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I'm a mac newbie (actually I dont even have a mac yet, expect for my ipod) and I'm planning on buying a powerbook in the up coming weeks.
    anyway, can someone explain was a airport base station is used and if I need it if I were to buy a PB....but explain EVERYTHING about the whole wireless crap :) Please?
    Because I dont seem to understand it.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, wireless is kind of like radio only instead of sending music, it's sending data. In a usual situation the data from the net comes down the phone line and into a modem which then decodes the data and sends it on to your computer.

In a wireless situation, the modem either sends the data to a router (a box that controls which data goes to which computer according to which computer sent the request for it) this router if it is capable of sending wireless signals, then routes that data out over the airwaves to the computer that sent a request.

As for Airport, that is Apple's moniker for 802.11b wireless (Airport Extreme refers to the now more commonly used 802.11g wireless protocol). 11g has a maximum speed of 54mb/s but rarely gets to that speed (even the slower 11b at 11mb/s is still much faster than most internet connections however most wireless routers and macs these days use 11g so why not use the faster protocol).

Wireless enabled Macs (iBooks, Powerbooks, iMacs, new Mac mini's etc.) can and will locate all public wireless signals so it is not necessary to purchase and Airport Extreme Base Station (this is the wireless router that sends the data to the computer - some also have other advanced features) because your Mac will locate the signal from any wireless router. For example at my folks' place, they have a DLink ADSL modem plugged into a Belkin wireless router and I don't need to do any configuration to access the net, just open my iBook and away I go.

Hope this helps.

3. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks that helped alot!

4. yenko macrumors 6502a

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

Jeszcze Polska nie zgine?a,
    Kiedy my ?yjemy.
    Co nam obca przemoc wzie?a,
    Szabl? odbierzemy.

6. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

od polske?! :D
    nie, ja mam (sort of) dobrze 'jakochampolska' ....it should be 'jakochampolske'

7. yenko macrumors 6502a

No to co? Sprawdzis? :D

Morze byc "No Co To"?? :D :D

chescz!! :)