Can Someone Please Help With Soundtrack??!?!?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Moof1904, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I can't figure out how to get the stereo track from the waveform editor into a mulitrack project!

This dual-mode paradigm of Soundtrack is not my best friend right now. I'm just not getting it. Can someone please help with this seemingly simple task?

-I edited a stereo track in the waveform editor.
    -I have a stereo aiff file on my desktop
    -I'd like to now open the edited stereo track in a multitrack document, add the aiff in a second track and after doing some alignment, mix the two stereo tracks down to one track that I'll export.

Help, please!

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

You wrote "Soundtrack" - I use Soundtrack Pro, not sure which version you have or if this procedure is even different for the two.

Anyways, all I do is drag the .aiff file onto a track of the multitrack project, and move it to the right or left in order to place it correctly on the timeline. You can do this multiple times, if you want the same .aiff to play more than once or need it on multiple tracks. To go back into the waveform editor, you can then double-click on the .aiff in your multitrack project; this would edit the waveform for all instances of this .aiff in your project.

Unless I completely misunderstand your question, it should be that simple. I remember, though, getting confused by the two different operating modes of Soundtrack Pro when I started using it, but I actually find it very useful now.

- Martin

3. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm running the latest Soundtrack Pro v1.1 (from FCS 5.1).

So, what I must do is:

-edit my stereo track in the waveform editor (if I want to make those types of edits)
    -export the stereo track from the waveform editor to an aiff
    -switch to a new mutitrack project
    -drag the aiff into the multiform project

I'll give this a shot. Thank you. I think my error was thinking I could go straight from the waveform editor to a multitrack project. I was looking for some command that was akin to "open this waveform track in a multitrack project" or something. I was thinking that exporting as aiff and reimporting meant that I was doing something in a needlessly complex manner.

Thanks again.

4. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

he's right. you have to save the waveform. there is no easy drag and drop function, although there should be.

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Not the first time around. But like I said, once your .aiff is on the timeline of your multitrack project, subsequent edits of the waveform are much simpler (just double-click in the multitrack project to open the waveform editor, then edit and save from there and close the waveform editor - that's all).

- Martin

6. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Excellent. Thanks so much for the assistance. I was banging my head against the wall. (Which made for a nice recording in Soundtrack.)