can someone please tlel me what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbaruch76, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jbaruch76 macrumors newbie

ok, i have decided to get a macbook most likely for travel and stuff, but i need a new pc. i want to make sure i get specs that will last for at least a little while, or at least make sure it's easily upgradeable. so basically i want to know what is gonna be the cheapest way to get a pc that will do what i want.
    here is what i want:
    for it to be vista capable at full runnign speed (with aero or whatever it's called)
    to be able to play games at full or close to full running speed without problems for at least 2 yrs
    it would be nice if i were able to install leopard on it but i don't think anyone's figured that out yet (so maybe someone can tlel me what i MAY need for that)
    I also have a very large music and video library which i would be using with media center. currently i need to encode divx on the fly to stream to my tv and my computer right now is too slow so it skips and pauses when i'm trying to watch.
    ok, i think that's about it. I was thinking about getting a decent hp and maybe upgrading a little bit, i like the hps because of the built in media readers and their media center pcs i like as well. but i am very open to suggestions, so if anyone out there has read this and knows what they're doing please help me out.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Leopard won't run on a PC legally, for it you should get a Mac Pro, a Macbook level processor will run Vista at "full running speed".

3. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

If you are looking to play 3D games, then the Macbook is a really bad idea. The integrated GPU is the one weak link in an otherwise very strong system.

David

4. jbaruch76 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i want to get the macbook for travel and have a nice pc at home for gaming and media stuff

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this isn't the solution you're asking for, but i would suggest you get a MacBook Pro. the 15" models are not bad for moving around with (i take mine to class everyday) and you could run BootCamp to satisfy your desire for the PC.

if you want to go with a PC, i can't really help you out much. i know Dell specifically makes high-powered gaming PCs (i think it's their XPS line).

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

if you want a computer to play games in 2 yrs at full speed, you'd need buy it after at least a yr and half... because even computer that's half yr old (MAYBE with the exception of highest macbook pro), you cannot run games like ghost recon advanced warfighter in full speed... i dont understand why they make games so demanding, but there are some games that are demanding the latest technology

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

How about a 24" iMac with the 256MB 7600GT graphics card option? :)

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

A MacBook for portable needs and a 20" iMacCore Duo 2 with the 256MB VRAM upgrade and 2 GB RAM.

Both machines will run Windows apps if you wish, but the HD would have to be upgraded in the MacBook to allow for the 2 OS Partitions.

9. jbaruch76 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, the imac is too expensive and i don't really think i can get what i'm looking for in gaming on a laptop, so i will settle for a pc. but i also want a mac for travelling so i will get a macbook. so to my original quesiton can someone jsut give me some specs for a pretty sick pc and i will try to find sometihng close enough in my price range.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say Macbook and Mac Pro. the iMac isn't much cheaper than the Mac Pro

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I wouldn't buy any Microsoft based P/C until Vista is released.
    Even with a P/C you would still want CoreDuo 2 and at least 256 MB VRAM.
    Then you have to add a monitor, A/V software and so on.

You still don't end up with the features of an iMac for the same price.

You might take a look at the Core Duo 2 iMac 17" and then buy a refurb MacBook for your portable needs.

You can always add RAM later as most of us do.

The important thing for gaming is to get the better GPU with 256 MB RAM

If you or someone in your family qualifies for the education or government sales discounts, that might help you with your budget.

12. jbaruch76 thread starter macrumors newbie

and i'm trying to say the imac is too expensive for me, i really don't think a mac can be a solution to gaming needs w/o spending at least $2000. i can get a pretty decked out pc for 1700. the mac pro starts at 2500

13. kalun macrumors regular

Well, stating your price range may help a bit....Anyway, Here is the spec of a "pretty sick" pc:

Chassis: Silverstone TJ-03 Aluminum
    Power Supply: Silverstone Zeus 850 W
    Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Extreme Edition 2.93 GHz @ 3.73 GHz, 1.066 GHz FSB, 4 MB L2 cache
    Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI DLX
    RAM: Corsair TwinX-2048-6400C4 4 x 1024 MB @ DDR666 (CL4.0-4-4-9)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor, WD1500ADFD 150 GB, 10,000 rpm, 16 MB cache, SATA150 (in RAID 0)
    Graphics Cards: BFG GeForce 7950GX2 1 GB GDDR3 570 MHz Core 775 MHz Memory (1.55 GHz DDR)
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels PCI
    Optical Drives: Plextor 760A 16x DVD +/- RW Dual Layer
    Floppy Drive: Mitsumi FA404 USB 2.0 Floppy Drive and 8-in-1 Card Reader
    Mouse & Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Laser
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5450 Dolby 5.1 and THX Certified
    Display: Apple Cinema Display 30" Dual Link DVI (2560x1600)
    CPU Cooler: Sanyo Denki San Ace MC Liquid

14. jbaruch76 thread starter macrumors newbie

here's what i can get for the imac for 1625 after the educational discount which is definitely a nice price for me.

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    * 250GB Serial ATA Drive
    * ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
    * SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
    * 20-inch widescreen LCD
    * AirPort Extreme
    * Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

here's what i can get on a pc

Motherboard Genuine Intel® 965X Chipset Motherboard with DDR2, PCI Express
    Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E6400, dual 2.13GHz cores
    DDR2 Memory 1024MB Corsair™ DDR2 PC5300 DDR667 (2x512)
    video 512MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7600 GS, Dual Heads
    storage 250GB Western Digital WD2500JD 7200rpm SATA/150, 8MB Cache
    optical drive 16x Lite On® DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LightScribe Labeling Technology, Black

so that has 512 mb video card, 16x dvd burner and i'm pretty sure that's a more advanced motherboard. it also has built in blutetooth and wifi, media card reader and a tv tuner. i already have a monitor and keyboard and eveyrthing so that doesn't really matter to me. i do like the imac though and i could possibly be convinced, i'm just nervous it won't stand up to the gaming and that i won't be able to upgrade as times chagne.
    [/SIZE]

15. jbaruch76 thread starter macrumors newbie

that's definitely way out of my price range, im looking to spend like 15-1800 for a desktop and then llike maybe 1400 for a laptop

16. kalun macrumors regular

Well if you have a monitor, a keyboard, and "everything else" (I assume computer accessories) already, AND your main purpose is to get vista running + gaming, then you may as well just get a PC.....

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would still hold for Vista on any P/C

It's also a good idea to separate your tech a bit in timing.

I would take a hard look at what I really NEED at the moment.

The BlackBook 2.0 GHz with 100 GB HD and at least 1 GB RAM will hold you
    for quite a while.

I would wait for the Quad Core chips on the gaming rig.

You might want to ask the others here about their impressions playing WOW
    and other better games on their Macs.

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you could get a mac pro for under $2000 with education discount. then you could always add a the better video card when you get the money.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That would be a great computer jbaruch76. :)

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get the PC you just mentioned. The specs aren't bad at all, and it'll give you what you want. ;)

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That could be quite the wait :)

22. jbaruch76 thread starter macrumors newbie

first of all thanks to everyone who's helping me on this. so for the imac, will a current one not be able to run vista? and also with the imac if i get it can i replace the parts? like jsut put in a new graphics card or even a new processor, beacuse these are the things i can do with a new pc, but if i can do these things then i would probably go for the imac.

23. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

if you wanna play games get a mbp... dont make a stupid choise like i did... now i cant play bf2 :(

24. willyhunt macrumors member

willyhunt

If its a PC your after for games and vista then you will be wanting;

Core2Duo
    1024mb Ram
    Nvidia 7900 GFX Card or ATI equivelent

I would go into motherboards and the like but as your buying prebuilt (HP, Dell etc) then theres not really much point.

But look for the above to game decently and something that will last a while.

25. willyhunt macrumors member

willyhunt

Yes the new iMac will run Vista and very well with full effects.
    About changing parts you cant change the graphics card in the 17 or 20" model although I am unsure about the new 24" version.
    You can however upgrade the memory, hard disc and I also believe the Processor as I don not think it is soldered although someone may beg to differ.

To be honest I think this time your better off with a PC as you will be gaming and are wanting to swap parts. And of course you will have a Macbook for seroius computer use. :)