Can someone recommend a BitTorrent client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rassoodock, Mar 23, 2007.

1. rassoodock macrumors member

I am FINALLY getting around to checking out this whole BitTorrent thing. Can anybody suggest a good starter client application for OSX 10.3? Any help or suggestions most appreciated. Thanks, Michael

2. Queso macrumors G4

Tomato Torrent. Small footprint and doesn't take all your memory like some others do.

3. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I use Transmission because it's so simple and lightweight. Another good one would be Azureus because of it's advanced features.

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

I use Transmission.

On a side note -- please search the Forum before asking general questions like this. This particular one gets asked twice a week, it seems

5. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

As a very recent switcher from Windows, I REALLY miss µtorrent.... I am using Azureus on my MBP b/c in my short experience, it has the most features and best transfer rates (at least on my machine & my internet service)...

6. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

try xtorrent, I've found it to be great. in my experience azureus wasn't that good.

7. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

Bittorent charges customers $$$ to download, whereas with Azureus and other similar sites, it's free to download as long as there are enough seeders. Additionally, Azureus uses a different method of obtaining torrent files versus your standard torrent sharing software.

I use btmon.com to find torrents because they allow people to discuss the quality of the videos so you know right away whether it's good or not. The downside to btmon is that on both margins are pictures of scantilly clad women, so it's not safe for work or in front of the misses.

8. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I've been using Transmission for quite some time now and noticed it hasn't been updated since June of last year. Is it still under development?

9. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Weird. I've used BT for almost 2 years now and I'm not being charged.

10. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I think you're confusing a few things. Azureus isn't a site, it's a client. Examples of torrent sites would be torrentspy.com and mininova.org.

I've never been charged to use or download torrents anyway.

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

There are a million of these threads, and for whatever reason, most people don't mention BitRocket.

Transmission is great if you use trackers that haven't banned it, but since I do, BitRocket is my go-to alternative.

The reason you don't want to use the "official" client is that it's PPC-only currently, and there's no reason to urn a BT client through Rosetta when there are perfectly viable UB's out there.

12. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I used Bitorrent to start with but thats just ugly.

Then moved to BitRocket but that kept crashing a lot.

So now i use Azureus

13. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Transmission works perfectly for me. It's a sexy looking client, and doesn't slow down my MBP at all.

14. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

15. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

BitRocket is admittedly not perfect (it crashes if you try opening a .torrent file by double-clicking), but beyond some minor beta goofiness here and there, it works flawlessly for me. Just make sure you open BR first and drag your torrent files in ;)