Can someone recommend me a good backup utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Calihafan, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Calihafan macrumors member

I'm secure erasing an old hard drive (7-pass... phew, it will probably take hours) to use as backup. Can anyone recommend me a good piece of software to backup? Carbon Copy Cloner has some compatibility issues with Tiger, and SuperDuper is not freeware (I really prefer freeware for this). Any recommendations? Those were the only backup apps I could think of.

Calih

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    SuperDuper is free if you're just doing basic clone backups. You need to pay to do incremental backups or use their Safety Clones. Incidentally, I'd thoroughly recommend it and paying the $20 since the developer has done a great job.

LaCie's Silverkeeper is free (and IIRC, not dependent on having a LaCie drive) but it only backs up rather than creating bootable clones.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i second that. just be sure what type of backup you want. superduper recommends to just backup the system so that you can restore it easily. but thats only interesting to developers. superduper can also backup everything and thats what i would recommend. but its super easy to use and it can do about anything.

i second that too.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I prefer the old fashioned manual back up by choosing files in the Home folders. When I save or add files/software, I put them in the folders which are oganized correctly.

5. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Silverkeeper from LaCie is worth a look. It's free.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have to say SuperDuper! as well it's a fantastic app, I only used it to replace a 160 GB drive with a 320 GB one it did a fantastic job of that. I was so impressed with what the app did that I bought a license key to support the developer. GREAT APP!

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Carbon Copy Cloner

There are a handful of hacks for using Carbon Copy Cloner with Tiger. The one I prefer is to run CCC as root. I simply fast-user-switch to the root account and CCC runs fine. Hope that helps. Search the macosxhints forum for more info or try this link: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050601063209418

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

What's the need for running CCC with hacks when SuperDuper does the same thing, is free and thoroughly tested for Tiger?

And yes, I heartily recommend SuperDuper as well :)

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The free version of Superduper is perfect for making clones as long as time is not imperative. I usually start it right before I go to bed anyway. If you need faster, just pay the $20 and register it. Don't be stingy about paying people for developing good apps, thats the only way they'll have incentive ot keep improving and working on them. Way too many cool freeware apps just get dropped because developers don't have the time or incentive anymore.

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just to clarify, making a bootable clone of your HD using SuperDuper is FREE. You are allowed to make as many clones as you want. In no way is this feature crippled, buying a license will not make it run any faster or better.

Shelling out the measly $20 license fee will give you access to additional SuperDuper options, perhaps most relevant being the "Smart Update" feature. This feature allows you to sync your HD with your cloned backup, negating the need to create a new clone everytime you want to backup. Basically cutting a 1 1/2 hour process into a ten minute one (you will of course need to make a clone first).

For full peace of mind, SuperDuper is an invaluable app. I can't recommend it enough. And the developer is very committed, this app is constantly being improved. Give it a go, I'm certain you won't be disappointed.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

By faster, I meant it enabled smart updates, which means the program will finish backing up your files "faster"

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I was just trying to clarify in case it wasn't clear to some other peeps :)

And I completely agree with your sentiment regarding supporting developers.