Can someone tell me if this is true about Germany?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Abstract, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can anybody tell me if this is true? There's a rumour that the German government wants to attract a greater number of english speaking international students to their universities, since they feel that this would be a better and more diverse environment for their own (German) students. In order to get more English speaking students to attend university in Germany, the German government has waived 100% of the tuition fees for english speaking students who are from a country of the British Commonwealth. This includes 16 countries (I believe), but mainly involves Britain, Canada, and Australian students, I would think. It means that for Canadian students, there would be no tuition fee if I were to attend a university in Germany. The German government wants around 15000 students from the Commonwealth. That may be the maximum number they want, but that's just what I heard.

I'm not sure if this is a one time offer, or if they're doing this every year. My parents heard this from a friend, who says he is looking into it for his children (his son is 16), although he's not interested. But hell, I'm definitely interested. Germany is beautiful. Munchen baby!!!

Can anybody tell me if this is true? I've tried searching for info, but I can't find any. My brother thought about it and said he once heard that the German government once had this same plan set out for people of Jewish descent, but that he has never heard of this particular info before.

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

AFAIK, there are no tuition fees in Germany yet, though the government is thinking about it.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I would be surprised if this is true. What I would expect is that University is free for German kids (like it used to be in the UK) but those from outside have to pay. Afterall why should the German taxpayer pay to educate students from other countries. This is certainly how things work here (UK students do now pay some fees but not as much as foreign ones).

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. iGav macrumors G3

I know some countries give big $ to students that want to study here, probably something to do with the way over-hyped rep of Oxbridge no doubt and that all UK Uni's are steeped in similar traditions... :rolleyes:

So I don't see why Germany and other countries wouldn't do a similar thing...

University is all about $ these days.... oh well, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for my degree.... :D

6. the future macrumors 6502a

7. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

uni in germany are not completly free. But the fee is very low like $200 a year or $100 per semester.

Only if you study too long its getting much more expensive

Never heard about a special fee for foreigners

8. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

exactly, my university (Muenster WWU) has raised the semester fee to EUR 95,- or something (I payed that one month ago so I don't remember correctly...) most of the money goes into the ticket for the public transportation system in Muenster and the larger surrounding area (bus & train) that you can use for free.

ALL you have to know about studying in my beautiful country can be found on the official homepage of the academic exchange service. (the site is in english and you can also access it in spanish...)

I hope this helps :)

vSpacken

9. woodsey macrumors regular

Heres a question for you germans!

Does anyone know of any german unis who offer business or marketing degrees taught in english.

I know English lectures are offered in france, but i dont think they are this cheap!

I would learn german, except im having enough trouble with french, i think learning two new languages at once would be too much!

Thanks...

Woodsey

10. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yes -there are. Mainly MBAs or MSc are. But the once I know often cost quite some money and often you need a degree in advance.

11. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can find where it says that German universities don't charge tuition, but like yourself, I don't understand how the German government can possibly subsidize an international student's education if they have never paid German taxes. :confused: In most other places, the government will normally subsidize approx. 65% of a student's education if s/he's a citizen, and will NOT subsidize a foreign student's tuition whatsoever. I'll be paying 3 times more tuition for attending a university in Australia, which is something I can understand, but I want something that clearly states, "No, there are no tuition fees for international students at German universities," just so that I don't walk around with a misconception about German Uni's when compared to uni's in other countries.

I would also consider getting my Ph.D there when I finish my M.Sc in Australia. Sounds like a blast. ;)

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Scary to think that some people pay 20k a year to go to some of the private schools in the states.....it would be quite nice if we would get free tuition - I had to work all through school to pay for it...:D

I'd take advantage of that if you're interested....how's your German?

D

13. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nil. ;) They have english programs that do not require you to take a German proficiency test to enter. To take a regular German program, you would need to take this test. However, if you try to find an english taught program, it's gravy. :)

Also, I looked it up. Its completely free, even for foreigners. Thats amazing. http://www.campus-germany.de/english/1.7.html

I heard living in Germany's main cities was expensive, but if you don't go to a university in a large city, I'd imagine it to be difficult to communicate in the city. I would learn German and take german language courses, but I'd imagine it to be easier to live in a large city, possibly with lots of tourists.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That really sounds pretty damn cool - what are you looking at as a major?

Good luck!

D

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Living costs are really quite high. You should try smaler cities. Not muenchen.

16. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm getting my M.Sc. in Australia, and I wanted to see if I could get a Ph.D in Germany. I always planned on going back to Canada for my PhD, but if its cheaper to go to Germany, I guess I'll have no choice. ;)

I'm in Medical Physics, or Medical Radiation Physics. Different name in different places. Its basically a Radiology/Nuclear Medicine/Medical Imaging/Radiation Oncology("cancer doctor") program, depending on what you want to further specialize in. It all relates to radiation in some way, and lots of the work involves imaging or treatment of cancer, but some of the work is non-cancer related. They have the program in Munich somewhere. I used to work for a doctor in Durham, England as a research assistant and he conducted research in Germany for 8 years or so. I knew the program existed in Germany, but I didn't think that there would be any gov't subsidization of my education since I'm a non-taxpaying, non-German citizen.

I guess things are different in certain places. School in London (at UCL) would have cost me £12000 ($7500 USD) or something simply because I was from outside the EU.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Can someone tell me if this is true about Germany?

english is a very high in demand skill and quickly becoming the international laguage of business...but don't discount spanish (big market there and growing)...and chinese)

but i know of an american man, who soon after high school, got something like that in japan...and then he taught english for a really lucrative salary

see if that's the motivation of the german school...could land you big bucks over there

good luck!

18. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

yeah, everybody wants to go to Munich, Hamburg, Cologne or Berlin... people tend to forget that especially Munich and Hamburg are extremely expensive...

I recommend that students from foreign countries try "university cities" instead (student live is better, cheaper, more compact):
    - Goettingen
    - Muenster
    - Heidelberg
    - Freiburg
    - Marburg, just to name a few...

vSpacken

19. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Hmm...

I wonder if there is a "grandfather clause" for FORMER British nations/colonies. I think the U.S. would fall into that category quite nicely. :) ;)

Regards,
    Gus