can someone tell me... (re: Kazaa port)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macmax, Jan 20, 2003.

1. macmax macrumors regular

Why we don't have an app like kazaa 4 the Mac, is it so difficult to make???
    I remember open ag, the best app i have ever had on my Mac, great little app that i truly miss.
    Thanks for your responses in advance.:confused:

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think it might have something to do with the network, not just the client.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: can someone tell me...

it's not that it's difficult... it's that they haven't bothered porting it.

arn

4. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

we have limewire -- but its rather lame, doesnt have half the songs i search for -- i hate it, but nothing else to use. and with more and more of these types of thing sbeing shut down...who knows.

sure wish everyone would just lighten up and realize that no matter what happens people are going to rip, share, steal, copy, and misappropriate music illegal or not. They should just let people do it and spend their money and time elsewhere.

of course, you could apply this argument to anything that is illegal. drugs, underage crimes, everything. where do you draw the line?

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have the source code for kazaa lite, but it can't be ported over, its got some x86 code, and it would be murder to port it over. But if some geniuses could do it.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

What is it written in?

7. Macpoops macrumors 6502

i haven't physically seen the code but i have heard it talked about and if i remember it's written in VB but the core of it is built in x86 assembler, i am assuming it is the encryption that the fastrack network uses. Which is very tough to port to PPC. The closest we have to kazaa is Neo and frankly it sucks have to do searches for clients just to be able to search for a file.
    The best you can do is to run Kazaa in VPC. Which runs nicely the gui does get a tad slow sometimes but it works

8. yosoyjay macrumors regular

Parts of it are written in freaking machine code. That must have taken forever to write.

I really wish somebody/group would port it over to Mac. Kazaa, and sometimes Civ3, are the only reasons I turn on my PC.

9. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

I figured it out

Kaza=Good program=pc geeks unhappy about their current system with a lot of time on their hands

Limewire=ok app=Mac users being more than satisfied with the core components of their computer, and just looking for music and movies to enjoy.

The reason there is no Kazaa for mac yet, is no one has ever been bored long enough on a mac to sit and code that long

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Have you seen the source code? any idea where it is at?

11. vniow macrumors G4

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

kazaa is ok. i have all available cclients and have run them. the mac version turn up 780% less results than the pc versions do. that is disgraceful.

whilst these have been only my own comparisions i can assure you. get VPC6 somehow ;) and use kazaa lite for pc. it is worth it if that is what your into.

man (and women :rolleyes: ). one day we will rule the earth. until then, mars is a good enough home.

13. vniow macrumors G4

What are you talking about?

We already rule the world.[​IMG]

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Haven't we had this talk before?

When Fast Track said they might port it but then looked at there code and said 'fusk it!' ...

I remember when there we rumors...

Anyways I doubt anyone is gonna slave to port this.

15. Independence macrumors regular

i used giFT on my linux system. only around 350 people on at one time but i could find pretty much any mp3 file i searched for.

16. dricci macrumors 6502a

Also, don't forget Kazaa as a company makes tons of money from the included spyware that monitors what you do and sends it back to marketers. It'd be next to impossible to get Spyware like that to work on Mac OS X without it quickly being detected and disabled.