can someone tell me why there is no hash key on uk keyboards?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iancapable, Oct 31, 2006.

1. iancapable macrumors 6502

iancapable

I don't understand the logic behind not having a hash key on apple UK keyboards... :( why? why? why?

You need it for C programming, for most scripting languages... I mean in all honesty I know you need to press alt + 3... But it should be there!

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

3. iancapable thread starter macrumors 6502

iancapable

£ symbol I think, I'm not in front of a mac so barely recall it.

A keyboard should still have a # key shouldn't it though?

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Yes it is alt (option) + 3(£) ############ see, i think think UK users dont use the hash symbol or somthing

5. iancapable thread starter macrumors 6502

iancapable

a # symbol is used by everyone. I for example use it so much that it's fading on my linux keyboard. # means number, # is a comment in a lot of programming languages and # is used in macros for c and other languages.

Was just an observation, I'm going to have to get used to a Mac keyboard... I'm using a pc one on a mac from time to time, but I will have to get used to the fact that home and end keys do something weird too hehe, amazing how much of a difference a few keys can be!

6. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I can see how it's annoying for programmers.

The hash key (in US we call it a pound key) isn't used as frequently in Britain as it is in the US. It's a good question as to why though. Now that automated phone systems are in such widespread use, I can see the hash key increasing in necessity in Britain.

You know you're old when you remember that the # and * keys were totally useless on the phone.

7. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I use my hash key multiple times a day - I'd be lost without it.

However - if it's not actually labelled on your keyboard - just change/switch it. I do so between french/british and australian keyboards.

Go into your system preferences and allocate what keyboards you want to use and tick 'show input menu in menu bar' and you can swap keyboards mid-sentence anytime.

You will find the hash key in the usual place then - shift3

8. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

hate to be the one to say this, but what's the big deal? shift + 3 or alt + 3 - I mean it's not like you have to do a magic trick!

here in denmark is shift + 3...

9. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly. Or if the OP can't cope with that, he can switch his Mac to US keyboard layout in System Prefs>International>Input Menu and use Shift+3 like Americans do. The rest of the Mac keyboard is virtually identical between UK and US layouts.

Sorry, but most UK Mac users aren't programmers and have far more use for the £ symbol.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Isnt it something to do with the '€' key? Since it was introduced the '#' key has disappeared. US keyboards dont have the '€' key hence they still have '#'. They did a bit of a shuffle a while back i believe. :)

11. Queso macrumors G4

Don't think so. the € symbol was tagged onto the @ key. I seem to remember my pre-Euro Performa had that key labelled only as 2 or @.

Saying that though, if Apple now label 2 as 2+@+€, why don't they label 3+£ likewise and add the # so everyone know's where it is?

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Sorry. My anus must of been controlling the keyboard during my last post. :D I was always under the impression that was why. I was (almost) certain # was on the 2 key. Its been a while though. :p

13. Queso macrumors G4

You never know. At some point it might have been. The keboard with my Performa was off an old LCII (1992 I think) rather than the extended one it was suppsed to have. Maybe it's changed over time.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, it never was. The # and the £ have always been on the same key, since they both indicate "pounds". # in the US stands for lbs Avoirdupois as well as "number".

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The entire keyboard layout is a little irritating tbh, but fortunately I adapt quickly to things like that. Others here haven't found it so easy, and one (programmer) has bought a MS keyboard.

" instead of @ still confuses me, # still throws me and ` instead of \ catches me sometimes too.

For long time Mac users I'd imagine it's not an issue at all, but crazy key placement doesn't make for easy switching.

16. Greebazoid macrumors regular

er, *cough* coz hash is illegal in the UK?

(sorry, I had to, it was so obvious)

17. iancapable thread starter macrumors 6502

iancapable

yeah it's not a problem either way as I know where it is supposed to be on a mac keyboard. I just thought it was something a touch weird!

18. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"hate to be the one to say this, but what's the big deal? shift + 3 or alt + 3 - I mean it's not like you have to do a magic trick!
    here in denmark is shift + 3..."

no, but it is confusing for switchers etc, if your not told something, and its not visible on the keyboard, how are you supposed to know?, i had to look it up on the internet the 1st time i used a # on a mac

19. UnitedRed macrumors member

does anyone have a list of all the hidden symbols on one of the English keyboards, sometimes I have to just try everything to get the one I want

20. Queso macrumors G4

Configure your International settings in System Prefs to show in the menu bar, then click the option to display the Keyboard Viewer. Whenever you need to find a symbol, select the flag in your menu bar, open the keyboard viewer, and you'll be able to see all the symbols on offer by holding down the option, shift, or option+shift keys and seeing what is displayed.

21. FireArse macrumors 6502a

smoking #

I can't believe it was mentioned - having been declasified an' all!

F

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm... Have no problem typing ###.

Ohh yeah, I'm using a (significantly better than the Apple POS) PC keyboard with UK mapping ;)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well there's a surprising take... ;)

24. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You have a very strange programmer there who seem to have avoided the use of { [ ] } | and \ althogether. Why single out the #?

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm not being that disingenous :D The link is for the UK mapping for a PC USB keyboard. I have it plugged into the MBP (and I've bought another ACK-5000HL 'Battersea Bridge Cruiser Special' for the Pro :p ).