Can spotlight...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Camille, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Camille macrumors regular

Hi...
    I realy want to know if spotlight can search for photo titles i put in iphoto...
    this way, I could, in a dash, find for example all the pics that have to do with my sister...
    Thanks...

P.S.
    Don't you think it would be great if we could just search for iphoto comments with spotlight???
    :rolleyes: :)

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think that they only way to really know is to try...put in some titles and search for them. I'm not sure it'd work, because I believe iPhoto puts the titles in a database file and not as part of the files' meta data.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It doesn't for me which is a shock. I always thought it did. Hopefully there'll eventually be a way of using Spotlight to find photos by title without exporting them all by their titles.

FWIW, the Spotlight feature in iPhoto works with titles just fine, obviously. :)

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

This is correct. If you changed the filename in iPhoto spotlight can't find it (as an image). However you can search for the original filename or next time you import pictures into iPhoto change the filename before you do so.

5. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I hope this feature is coming with the new revision of iPhoto.

6. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

Weird...I just tried it for me and it worked.
    I opened up iPhoto, titled one of the pictures something unique, closed iPhoto, opened Spotlight and typed the same title I did in iPhoto.
    It came up right away... Am I missing something?

7. Project macrumors 68020

It definitely does work.

I too just changed a photo title in iPhoto to something really unique. Closed iPhoto down and then 10 seconds later ran a spotlight search for that title. It came up instantly. When I clicked it, iPhoto opened and it selected that photo. It will also work with keywords and comments.

Very nice.

8. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Works for me too. Spotlight search of comments entered in iPhoto also works. On interesting thing is that if I find an iPhoto photo in Spotlight and open it from the Spotlight results list, it opens in iPhoto, not Preview like all the other pictures.

10. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

To my amazement I was wrong. I did a little test. I renamed a picture in iPhoto (original filename: DSC01204.JPG) to TT_123. Closed iPhoto and opened a finder window and search in spotlight for TT_123. It actually shows me the right picture but and here it is: it has the original filename DSC01204.JPG written underneath it. Here is an image to show you guys what I'm talking about. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

11. Camille thread starter macrumors regular

Well, i'm using iphoto 4 so u know...
    Maybe that's the reason why it doesn't work for me...

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

SpotLight will find even a text written on a photo file.

It does so with maps, and you can also place comments if you choose to do so. :)

Never had any problems with SpotLight, except its a bit slow....maybe RAM issues on my part. :p

13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I believe that's because titles are relevant in iPhoto, but they don't affect the underlying filename.