Can the 2012 mini run Lion instead of Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by propower, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I have some audio issues with compatibility of a pro audio interface and Mountain Lion. Is it possible to boot the 2012 Mac Mini to Lion instead?

Any pointing on how to do this??

THANKS!

2. macrumors P6

dukebound85

I doubt it as the the older os most likely doesnt have the driver for newer hardware if the past is any indication

3. macrumors newbie

Not possible currently...I spent a couple hours trying to do this yesterday at my job. We bought a new Mini with 10.8, but the software we run doesn't yet support 10.8 (or at least hasn't been tested). I guess we'll be testing very soon.

4. macrumors 68030

I've never known Apple hardware to run earlier OS versions than they were released with. Not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely to happen without some serious work-arounds (if at all).

5. macrumors 65816

dasx

You can't even install 10.8.2 from the App Store into this new Mini, so I guess Lion is out of the discussion.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Bummer...

Waiting for Beta driver for audio box... if no go then mini may have to wait (i.e. return to Apple :-(.....

7. macrumors 65816

dasx

What about windows? You can always use it for that purpose until it's OSX compatible. ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Following the death of my old G5 beck in the summer, i decided to replace it with a 2011 mini (lion), and had similar problems with installing the yamaha MLAN software for my sound desk.

the only option was to put Snow Leopard on it, installing from the SL disk didnt work as the installer didn't recognise the mini, so i had to do a clean install on my old Mac Book Pro with MLAN installed, then Carbon Copy Clone that install on to the mini, ( I had to boot the mini off a usb drive to format the minis internal drive) tool a little while, but worked, The Mini is stable and now Running SL with MLAN!

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

YAY -- vendor fixed audio driver! Mountain Lion it is :)

10. macrumors 65816

I downloaded 10.8.2 and installed it on a 2.3GHz i7 Mini.

11. macrumors 65816

dasx

If I go to the App Store and click on "Download" for Mountain Lion, it says it isn't compatible. There are a couple of threads in this sub forum on how to create a custom bootable partition to install the custom build of ML for the Mini.

So tell me, what did you do?

12. macrumors 65816

I didn't do anything special. Yesterday Software Update let me know that 10.8.2 was available, so I installed it. I also upgraded my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

13. macrumors member

Right - it wasn't working using the App store. They must have fixed it. You needed to download the 10.8.2 update made specifically for the 2012 Mac Mini (and other recently released Mac's) from apple's support downloads site in order to get the installer to work.

14. macrumors 65816

dasx

I see. I was referring to a fresh install. I also updated to 10.8.2.

Thanks for the input!