Can the 80gb Classic get Genius?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by seekup40ants, Sep 9, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

SSIA. Is there going to be a software update to allow the old classics to utilize the genius app?

2. macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

They never mentioned it, so I would assume no.. Now there might be an update but Jobs never hinted to the Genius feature being on the new classic.

Ok just checked Apple.com and the new models will have the Genius, doesn't say about the older ones...

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I would really like to find this out.

4. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I doubt the old versions will get the Genius feature, otherwise what would be the point in buying a new Classic!

5. macrumors regular

5th gen users got shafted when the 5.5 gens came out with the search feature, so im guessing no.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish someone could confirm this.
    I am debating between buying an 80gb classic or a 120gb. Any suggestions?

7. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Go for the 120gb, the extra storage is good and the new features will be cool too.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the new features other than the genius?

9. macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I'm wondering the same thing, I just purchased an 80gb classic like 3 months ago, so it would be nice if there was a software update. I'm getting a new touch this weekend anyways, so I guess either way, I'll have it.

10. macrumors 6502

MacBass

New earbud remote features.

Yes, Genius is coming soon to an 80/160 GB Classic near your iPod syncing cable!

11. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

"Old" classics - in other words, the "old" 80 GB and 160 GB will receive software updates as I understand it.

Anyone got any idea about the battery life of the new 120 GB, and how does it differ from the two models it is set to replace?
    Cheers

12. macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

As reported on Engadget the older Classics will get the firmware upgrade that will include the genius feature.

The genius feature lets you pick one song and it will create a playlist with similar songs... its outstanding!

13. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for that link - and the information about battery life; as someone who has had two iPod batteries die (both well within warranty - they were replaced without any difficulty) battery life and duration has since then been a bit of a concern of mine.

Cheers and good luck