Can the apple store do this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I am going to be purchasing a 17" powerbook w/ everything maxed out, on April 29th or 30th when Tiger is released. I have a few questions.

1) Will I be able to go to the store and buy a completly maxed out pb, or will I have to order that online? Like can they add the extra ram in the store and what not?

2) My apple store is in orlando at millenium mall and it is always PACKED! I cant even imagine how busy its going to be for the release of Tiger. Will I be able get the bowerbook and a copy of tiger without them getting sold out because of the big release?

3) Can I call ahead and pre order the powerbook how I want it then pick it up or have them reserve it?

4) Is all of this a bad Idea? Should I just go earlier in the week and get the powerbook ahead of time then get tiger?(which Id really rather not do)

thanks,
    Rob

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Why not just call your local Apple Store? They will have the most definitive answers to your questions.

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

HEY, I DONT NEED THE ATTITUDE! ....lol just playin, thats a good Idea.

4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Sorry if that came off the wrong way. I know my post was brief and to the point, but it was not meant to be rude. I don't think you can get BTO options at the retail locations, but I'm not certain and I have no clue on some of the other questions, figured it'd be best to call them.

5. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Yea, I was totally joking... you didnt come off rude at all. Anyway, I called the apple store and they said they dont have a 17" with 128vram, they can only upgrade the regular ram. So looks like im going to have to buy it online.

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

how long does it ussually take for them to get a custom powerbook to me? can I over night it?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it will take a few days to process it and get everything to spec because it is a BTO powerbook rather than stock, but if you wanted to you can pay for the advanced shipping to get it to you asap

8. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

BTO

BTO = Built To Order

And yes, you'll have to wait a while --- YOU LUCKY BASTARD, you're gonna get a awesome machine! :D

BTW, is a 30" ACD monitor in your future?

Peace!

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

17" 1.67 comes standard with 128vram and dual-link

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Adding system RAM is easy on a Powerbook and will save you money if you go with a reputable third party seller. In the USA I recommend Data Memory Systems www.datamem.com

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

11. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

well, I called the apple store back and they said that someone made a mistake when they told me that they couldnt upgrade the 17"pb's that they had to 128vram, because all of the 17"ers come with 128vram as someone in this forum stated.(to lazy to click back and see who, but props :) ) So I guess Im just going to go get one.

About the ram upgrade. If I do get third part ram will it be totally plug and play and like no bios(im switching to mac from pc, so i dunno if mac has bios or not, so forgive my newbyism, lol) updating type of thing? Also isnt there a possability of the ram being bad or lower quality and not work as well or last as long?

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

should be no problem to get ram so long as its the right specs, to be on the safe side just go with a company that offers a lifetime warranty on their ram in case something goes wrong

13. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

RE: Can the apple store do this?

Even thought I visit two of the Apple stores somewhat
    regularly (SOHO and Menlo Park NJ) I ordered my Powerbook by
    phone. The person who took my order was very helpful and I was
    surprised how fast it arrived (I think it took about 3-4 days).
    I really didn't consider buying it in the store. Good luck!