Can the b&w have more then one opyicle drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wnameth, Dec 11, 2004.

1. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

Hello, i am wanting to know this, because i don't want to buy a super drive, but by a dvd rom for like 25$ and then a cdrw for like 20-40, any ideas?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I think you should have put this in the hardware forum? nyway, yes you can...have a look at this guy's "how to" pics ....oh yeah!

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I don't see the point in buying two different drives. You can get a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive for as little as $35 USD, and a DVD burner for $50. A CD-RW + DVD-ROM would cost ~$40 and you would have to mod your B&W's case.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=5&DEPA=0

4. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

just buy a new DVD+/-rw drive like a Pioneer, it burns allso CD-RW so no need for two drives and replace it in the B&W... I used to have a B&W and replaced the cd-rom drive with a CD-rw/DVD-rom (since DVD+/-RW drives were still to expensive at the time).

you would be able to mod the Zip-slot in the B&W it would look ugly, but it still is possible, or do it external FW you can add even more than 2 drives then :p

J

*edit*

hmm ok just buy a CD-RW/DVD-rom drive to replace your exsting drive... forget to realise you DON'T want DVD+/-RW ;-)

5. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

A external case is around 30 + around 80 for the drive....also most don't come in firewire and i don't have USB 2.0

also can this do absolutly everything i would need (burning, reading DVD, burning reading CD's): Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Double Layer Drive

please post a reply, email me or Pm me thanks!

6. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

I live in Canada, so could you maybe by a burner from Newegg for me? because hte cheapest ive sean them here is over 95 US

Thanks

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

dude.. go to any place that sells LG optical drives and pick up a 16X LG DVD+/- for somewhere in the range of $120CAD...

8. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I got a NEC 8x +/- DL for 115 in the summer when 8x was the quickest you could get... canadian dollars